Grouping at 6 o'clock

ghbucky

Due to the recent madness I had to take a hiatus from shooting due to the general lack of components or ammo.

I recently got back into shooting and I think I'm mostly through the flinch phase. I'm shooting a Springfield 9mm XDM and to get back into form I've just been shooting at a 25yd NRA bullseye target at 21ft.

Today after about 100 rounds I was finally able to start shooting solid groups.

I recall in the past that I typically expected the POI to be pretty much dead on what the red dot fiber optic in the front sight blade is on.

In my 2nd set of 100ish (I wasn't keeping count) I ran out a fresh target and started shooting a solid group a about 1" to 6 o'clock on the bull. That was kind of a new one to me. But I shot probably in the neighborhood of 50 rounds into that hole.

I had a thought to adjust the sight, but at 21ft range? Like I said, this is a new one to me. Usually my flinches land at 7-8 o'clock, so I'm not sure what to make of this.

I also shot around 20 shots with a .22 semi at the same range/target and put all those rounds in the black before I went to the 9mm.

Any ideas, thoughts or drills to work on are welcome.

[edit for clarity]

Last edited:
Just *maybe,* your optic drifted a bit? Solid, consistent groups indicate it's probably not you.

Of course it depends on what distance you zeroed your sight. Zeroed at 20 yards your POI will hit a bit lower at half the distance.

Just my 2¢.

No optics. Just plain ol iron sights. The red dot reference is to the red fiber optic in the front sight blade.

[Thanks, I ediited my OP to clarify]

I think your pistol comes equipped with combat sights. The combat hold has the point of impact where the front dot is - not the top of the front blade. If you use a target hold with combat sights, you'll shoot low. Just a thought.

I think your pistol comes equipped with combat sights. The combat hold has the point of impact where the front dot is - not the top of the front blade. If you use a target hold with combat sights, you'll shoot low. Just a thought.
That's exaclty what I expect, so my hold puts the front sight blade dot high in the black.

Try shooting ammo with heavier bullet. POI will likely go up.

Iron sight has lower half of the sight picture obscured. I like poi higher than POA as I want to see where the bullet will hit. If it doesn't, I will do things to make it happen.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back