groundhog senses

tinman

Anyone know how good a ghogs senses are? I live in some somewhat hilly terrain and there are 2 inparticular that I'd love to feed the vultures with. They have taken residence just over a knoll and I cannot seem to drop a bead on them. I don't have all day to sit them out, and they seem to know when I'm carrying. The other day I took the dogs out and had just walked within 20yds of the hole when the little sh**s came running out playing.:eek: All I had was my 45acp and I wasn't going to traumitize my wussy dog at a 50yd shot at a moving hog. Been out a couple more times and all I see is dirt.
What gets my goat is that I can stalk hunt deer and turkeys without any problems with shotguns and handguns, but cannot get the fuzzy faced hole digger with a rifle. I've dispached all their brothers and sisters, but their location was easier to get on. The last one thought I didn't see him peeking from behind a big tree, surprise to him when I let the 06 roar.:D :) :D
Enough rambling on, how well can they see, hear, smell and what is the staple diet for one in central Ohio.(wooded, small pasture, no local crops)

Anyone know how good a ghogs senses are?
Purty darned good! Like most open area prey animals, they're tuned to see movement at great distances. Their hearing isn't too shabby either, but I use that to my advantage. I've found that a "silent" dog whistle will make 'em stand up nicely for me to take the shot. Almost any high pitched whistle will do it too. I'm not sure, but I think maybe it sounds like a bird of prey and they stand to spot it.

Groundhogs or "Whistle Pigs", as we sometimes call 'em around here, are one of the few critters I still regularly hunt. Groundhog holes and horses just don't mix :( . Besides that, young groundhog properly done up is mighty tasty :D .

I've never had any luck walkin' & stalkin'. Best thing is park yourself on a hilltop overlooking prime 'chuck territory, set up a lawn chair with a cooler full of Pepsi beside it, and wait :D .

Don't tell anyone but they have E.S.P.;) There's even one that can tell you how much winter is left! He's in Pennsylvania i think.

I'll agree with the Capt. Find a spot early in the morning. Sit and wait. When they come out, they're yours.
I'll have to wait to say whether they taste good . . .

scratch one of them. Took it out with a 17HMR. I went walking through the woods and came across a good dozen active holes. Guess I better take a day and take care of buisness. The 30-06 with 130gnHP's should do the trick.

ive had ground hogs like that before, i had some under my shed last summer. they were digging the foundation out from under my shed so i had to get rid of them. i got all but one of them, the last one would run at the slightest noise so one day i went out and found all of his holes and blocked them with big rocks except for one, then a i threw a gopher bomb down the open hole and just waited till he came out and i popped him with a 410 slug.

Back