Ground Squirrels in California?

Molon Labe!

Anybody know where there is a few good spots for ground squirrels in central California? I know of a few good places up north more, but I don't want to have to take the long trip. :(

Absolutely ANYWHERE from the Vandenberg AFB coastline east to Solvang/Santa Ynez.

:D

Hell you could hunt them with your car and bag 3-4 every mile!

Boggs Mtn. State forest - 3,500 acres
Upper Lake Ranger District - 262,000 acres
Cache Creek Management area - 50,000 acres
Cow Mtn. Management area - 54,000 acres
Walker Ridge / Indian Valley Wildlife area - 50,000 acres

These are all public hunting lands in Lake county. I have never hunted on any of these but I've looked into it for pig hunting. You're lucky in Lake county most of those places are year round hunting. I grew up in the country of the Midwest before moving to this liberal state. I'm really looking forward to getting into hunting again.

Those places you mentioned rowdy beats taking a 5-8 hour drive up north. I know of one great place but it is near the boarder of Oregan. Thanks Rowdy. :)

Here is a little harder mission. Find some good ground squirel land in the San Francisco bay area. Oh, we have got the squirels but we also have an all to happy to arrest cop force too. I live on the peninsula if that helps. If you can find something within an hours drive I will call you amazing.

FlyboyAZ,
The only place you can get to in about an hour that I know of is Putah Creek Wildlife Area. It's near Vacaville and about 700 acres. They do have some restrictions on hunting times though.

You might ask DC about 'em-- our fair administrator (somwhere in So. CA) makes it her mission to pop as many as she can a day with her 10-.22.

--L.P.

the quest for ground squirels

Thanks guys, I will have to look up that Putah Creek Wildlife area. I have been accused of going over to a local riding park and shooting ground squirels out of the car with a highpowered pellet gun. It is rather amusing, but you didn't hear that from me.

Back