Grizzly 38 Spl. +P Ammo

snubbyfan

Comments appreciated from anyone who has shot some Grizzly 38 Spl.+P 125 gr. JHP from a 38 Spl.+P snubby.
I just got me a box to put thru my S&W 638 (Airweight, 38 Spl.+P).

Was it accurate?
Expansion results?
A defensive round?
Recoil?

Last edited:
I have a bunch of it for my 9mm. Lgs had it for 15$ a box. It seems to work well for me. Accuracy is there and the recoil is what I would expect from it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

.38 Special "+P" is designed to get the maximum dollar amount from the customer.
It offers no particular advantage from a 2" barreled gun.

Really?
Buffalo Bore 110 gr Barnes standard pressure shows 950 fps in a 2" S&W revolver.
Their 110 gr Barnes +P gave them 1100 in the 2" revolver.

So I don't know if a 150 fps, 15%+ increase in velocity, 15%+ increase in momentum, 30%+ increase in energy confers an advantage, but it is definitely a difference. 15% more recoil, too, though.

I'm a little skeptical of Buffalo Bore's specs.
If they can load standard pressure loads that travel at the speed of light, why can't (or don't) the major manufacturers load it that way?

Well Bill, if you don't believe them then there isn't much we can do about it on the Www. I don't care enough to buy the ammo and run an independent test for you. Even if they are lying about the overall performance, the relative values still say that there is something to gain by +P.

If they can load standard pressure loads that travel at the speed of light, why can't (or don't) the major manufacturers load it that way?
I think the boutique ammo producers load their ammo to the very edge of SAAMI pressure. Where the majoy, recognized brands leave a bit of wiggle room loading a bit under the maximum.
Then they also load what they call +P for rounds that there is no +P pressure recognized by SAAMI.That is either advertising hype for absolute maximum pressure loads, or ammo loaded to pressure in excess of SAAMI standards.

Why would the big manufacturers change it when they're selling everything they're making now? Most people are OK with current factory loads. For the rest of us, there's BB & Underwood.

Come and shoot the Buffalobore +P outdoorsman out of my ruger LCRx.
It WILL MAKE A BELIEVER OUT OF YOU!
You can definitely feel a HUGE difference in the recoil from most other +P loads.
I let my brother take one shot and the pain was enough for him to hand it back to me. Like hitting a metal light pole with an aluminum baseball bat.
But with the Critical defense +P, it was only mildly uncomfortable.

I know they're not for everyone but I love Buffalo Bore shells.

They loads their shells up good n' hot, hotter than you can get even when reloading. They use special non-canister grade powders and proprietary equipment to give you maximum velocities and energies whilst maintaining safe pressure limits.

Their shells are high but for a defensive use or hunting, they are tops. They've got a ton of neat and extremely effective one of a kind loads you won't find the big boys making.

OP Buffalo Bore should say on the product page if your gun is safe to shoot with that ammo. I think pretty much all post war steel frame S&W revolvers are fine, and so are the +P marked alloy guns. Now don't quote me on that, again BB should spell it out on their site.

But I think you will find the load is a top performer for caliber in terms of muzzle energy and velocity. With that being said, when I owned a snub I carried the Speer short barrel 135 gr. +P loads. Those are awesome and have a controllable recoil with little muzzle flash. The Buffalo Bore loads will kick in a snubby. I personally think if you're wanting fast follow up shots, you might be better off with a different round. Buy some and see, but I think you'll be impressed with their potency.

Then, let me give you some more "wrong" advice-
Any perceived advantage of "+P" ammunition in a 2" barreled gun is outweighed by the increased recoil and muzzle blast, and increased shot recovery time.

The .38 Special is an entirely adequate cartridge without overloading.

Merry Christmas!

Everyone certainly has their opinions...

for what it's worth, here is mine.

Velocity/energy/momentum cannot be viewed individually to determine the effectiveness of any particular load. My personal belief is that bullet shape and construction largely outweigh the difference any minor changes in velocity may yield. Having said that, more velocity with a given bullet offers some degree of improved ballistics. Will it matter? Who knows?! But, I seriously doubt that it will degrade performance. So, if the recoil is within the capability of the gun and shooter, I see no reason not to use it.

Then they also load what they call +P for rounds that there is no +P pressure recognized by SAAMI.

Uh...yes. There is a SAMMI spec. Here is a wealth of SAAMI/ANSI specs for anyone that would like to sift through it. Interesting stuff.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/VelocityPressureData.pdf

Look to the info and you will clearly see that .38 Special +P is indeed included.

JW

Last edited:
Back