Gripscrew Bushings

Doc

I'm looking for gripscrew bushings for a NORINCO 1911 style pistol. American made replacements do not fit. - Doc

You STRIPPED the stock screw bushing (as it is correctly called). Incredible clumsiness. I have only done it twice myself <g>.

Finding Norinco is problematic. You can find the company, all right, but it is based in China, and I could find no references to warranty service, or parts supply. They used to be associated with Interarms, but not anymore.

I would make sure that the bushings are truly NOT GI spec. Most of the Norinco parts are. Take the gun to someone who knows taps and dies, and have him measure the hole in the receiver. You may well find that the new GI spec bushing does not fit as the threads in the receiver are damaged, and a little cleaning up with a tap will solve your problem. Further, most bushings are staked in place, which tends to damage the threads anyway.

Brownells makes a nice tool to install the bushings tightly, without marring the receiver. Be sure and degrease the receiver hole and bushing and LocTite the bushing in place. The alternative is staking, but requires more equipment.

Rots of ruck. Walt Welch

Walt, thanks for the input. I did not strip the bushing, I lost it, I have the proper tool for removing and replacing "stockscrew" bushings. You must be very wise to be so critical. - Doc

Doc,

Walt seems to wise and pretty much honest. He even admitted that he'd stripped the bushings twice, but what he didn't tell you was that he's only messed with the bushings THREE times. ;)

Seriously,that would be the first part I've heard of on a Norinco that wasn't GI compatible.

Rob, I think the bushings are the only things that may be different. I'm not even sure that they are metric, but the pitches of male and the female parts are diferent from SAE. (I've been working with my own guns for 54 years and this is the second time I have droped and lost a part - nodoubt due to carelessness and clumsiness. I guess I'll never learn. Of course, we veterinarians can not be expected to be as efficient and versatile as physicians.) - Doc

The first piece I remember losing was a spring from an AMT hardballer, took the slide off and *Sproinggggggg that was many moons ago, I expect it to land any day.
Since then, I've dropped and/or lost more parts than I can to remember (I even lost a gun for a little while once...).

If you have a good trade, take my norinco IPSC off my hands and you can use it for parts ;).

------------------
-Essayons

Rob, one day I was disassembling a Wilson Govt. model in the conventional manner. How did you spell it, SPROINNNG, I haven't seen that recoil spring plug since. I heard it hit the flourescent diffuser over my head, at least two walls and my 550B. The room has been completely remodeled since including thorough cleaning (what gun room gets that?), painting, cabinets, etc. NO PLUG!!! There is some kind of being in these parts that can slide up and remove stuff from my hand, take stuff off my desk as I sit, and generally screw up my life. (Do you think it is really clumsiness?) - Doc

Rob; you are correct; I only messed with the one I inadvertantly stripped, and the two you sent me to fix. :)

Doc; why don't you remove one of the remaining stock bushings and take it to a tool and die person, and have him measure the thing. It is probably metric. Once you figure out what it is, you can either try to obtain one that will fit, or see if there is some compatible size that will work if the hole is retapped. I have a faint recollection of Brownell's selling oversize stock bushings for this very purpose, but since it has been a long time since Rob has screwed any of these up, I can't remember exactly. ;) Walt

Walt, you have the right idea. Probably I must obtain the oversized bushings, a cobalt drill of appropriate size and hope the tap that bushing tap is hard enough to cut the Norinco receiver. Of course, if there were some generous soul out there who had an extra Norinco bushing after having done all we are discussing, would simply pipe up and beg me to take it off his/her hands so his/her bench would not be so cluttered, my life would be simpler. Alas, I must fend for myself, as my dear departed Daddy taught me. Merry Christmas, :>) - Doc

Back