Grips

Winston

I am new to .44mag shooting, my S&W 629 4" has the stock
grips. Would grips that cover the backstrap tame this gun any?
Are "deaccererators" helpful?

Any reccomendations on brands?

-- tkx

Round butt or Square? If it's a sq. butt the hogue monogrip would be the way to go for L & N frame Smiths but they don't cover the backstrap. They do tame recoil a little. I have heard that the Presentations work well but my hands are not big enough for them in the N-frame. But then again there is not much that will help the Square N-frame in the recoil department.

For my square butt M29

I went to smooth wood grips that covered the back strap. I had to thin down the sides because I have small hands.
However, I left the rear surface fully wide and thinned them towards the front.

I did use some Pachmayrs, but they just didn't suit me. They were fairly comfortable.

Pachs work, but are a bit large for me.
Hogues work for me. Rubber on both.
Wood looks nice, but sure can feel them on my .41 mags. So for long range sessions the rubbers go on.:rolleyes:

Herrett's walnut "Roper style" grips on my Mod 29. They fit my medium size hands perfectly and I don't have trouble with recoil. Rubber grips just don't suit me.

Raider

My DECELERATORS are HELPFUL

Have six DA wheels with the Decelerators; fit me perfect (used for IPSC and 'heavy' ammo), and about $30 retail.

Worth trying..........

I have both set of grip's for my S&W 629 Classic;
the Hogue Monogrips, and a smooth wood set with
the S&W monograms inset. The weapon is a 5" round
butt model, 629-5. With full house, factory ammo
the wooden grips let the weapon roll in the
web of your hand; making it pleasant to shoot the
big bore .44 Magnum.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Last edited:
For shooting anything more powerful than a 357 I prefer wood grips w/finger grooves. Rubber bites a little to hard in the more powerful calibers.(IMHO) I bought some decelerators for my blackhawk 44mag. I absolutely hated them. Two cylinders full and they came right back off.

Back