Grips from Thailand

arquebus357

I hate to gush over my Security Six's new grips, but for anyone that has wondered about the grips from Thailand this may be helpful.

First off, I was surprised to receive these 10 days after I ordered them. Also they will not bombard my E-Mail with adds every day. After a range session with the smooth, finger grooveless set of Herretts grips I felt like putting the ugly Pachmayr grips back on. Therefore I bit the bullet and ordered these.

Fitment is a little complicated. The grip frame of this old model Security Six has been altered. The backstrap has been reshaped to allow fitting grips made for the newer models. Of course the top of the grip panels need to be cut down about 1/8" to match the lower Top strap (where the hammer is located) of this older model. Also the holes for the pin had to be relocated. As you can see the grips are closed back style. The wood is a West African hardwood called Padauk. The checkering appears to be cut rather than embossed. I could be wrong. The medallions are my addition.

I find these to be very secure in my hands. We will see.

Last edited:
Other than looking a bit on the large side (could be the angle of the picture) they look great. They might look better on my stainless Rugers but they are already fitted with grips that fit my hand and I am used to them.

Where did you get the medallion to install on the grips?

^^^^^

Yes, it's the angle. I was trying to show that these grips cover the backstrap.

Those are the 3/8" stock Ruger medallions. I just found the most beat up and cheapest ($8.00)set of the original small walnut grips I could find on Ebay. These medallions are actually pretty nice. I just flood surface with a Sharpie and then run some fine (2000 or so) wet or dry over the surface.

I bought a set of those Thai grips. They were the only ones that made S&W type Roper/ Magna stocks for a round butt Model 19. They do good work.

Yep...ebay. I didn't order from the manufacturer but from one of the shops that carry these grips. Just say.. gun grips thailand and these will pop up.

I removed about 3/16" from the bottom of the grips and sealed with 2-part epoxy varnish. (end grain needs max protection) I was happy to see that the Padauk hardwood shows very high quality as the end grain matches the long grain perfectly. For some reason the factory finish did not show this.

I too have ordered them for my Taurus 66.

The only annoying thing is it's shipped USPS. Not being home for the delivery, you have to go to the post office to sign for them.

Oh well. Excellent and the price is cheap.

I find the grips on the Ruger revolvers I have to be too small for my hands. These would be the Security Six revolver and Redhawk. I likewise changed both of them out. My Redhawk had a another set of grips contained the box it came with (Pachmayr Presentation grips), so I installed them. A big improvement over factory grips, for me, at least.

For the Security Six, here's the grips I chose:

These are a much better fit in the hand. A pleasure to shoot with.

Bayou

I think this guy pre-stages these somewhere on the west coast (maybe LA if I remember correctly) so shipping time are pretty short........and sometimes he's list a bunch of returns starting at .99 so if you are willing to do some fitting and mods on your own plus take a little risk you can get some really good deals, especially if it's for some of the less common models.

The ones on my GP-100 came from Thailand.

attachment.php

Deaf

Wow...that is one pretty piece. Bobbed hammer...interesting. I had always avoided short barrel revolvers until I watched the Hicock45 pop his 80 yard gong over and over.

I am on the lookout for something similar to yours. They sell fast and command a pretty high price.

Last edited:
Ruger makes the GP-100 with a 2 1/2 inch barrel! I have TWO DAO Ruger hammers! Maybe one day I'll get me a true snub .357 GP.

Deaf

Back