Grips for S & W 642

marca

I'm still getting in a lot of practice time with my new S & W 642. I'm finding that the grips are just a bit small for me (and I don't have incredibly large hands), especially where my little finger lands on the grip. I usually just curl the little finger underneath a la mini Glock, but might also benefit from a grip that's a little larger. Anyone have suggestions/experiences? I've had the Hideaway grip recommended but am interested in additional feedback.

Thanks!

Marca, I have a pair of "Sile" rubber grips on my J frame. I got them for 3.99 from www.cdnninvestments.com. Look under grips-S&W. They are black rubber, with fingergrooves. They are fairly lightweight, longer in grip front to back than others, they cover the backstrap of the pistol, which helps to moderate recoil, and they offer a "full" grip-meaning you can just barely get your whole hand on it. They make shooting these lightweight snubs much more fun. Goodluck. Oh, and they are pretty thin, overall probably close to my favorite J frame grips.

I had the same problem with a 642, a 442 and a 638. I tried a number of different grip types and shapes and spent a lot of money on the journey. The best grip was probably the Eagle "Secret Service" wood grips at about $25, but in actuality, nothing ever made a J-frame fit well in my hand. You just have to realize that you're not going to have a J-frame fill your hand like a nice N-frame with a full grip. The J-frame's advantage is small size and weight and concealability. It will never be comfortable. My advice is stay with the grips you have and learn to like them. It will save you the money and time of researching everything out there just to find that nothing works.

I have the hiedeaway on my 442...great grip but if you shoot a lot, go for rubber...i went with this one becuase I hate rubber on my pants or on my ankle....grabs the clothing and feels sticky against my skin...the uncle mike's are the worst sith the hard checkering, the hogue bantam isn't as bad. if you have the standard wood, maybe you should try a tyler t-rip..although thier prices are about on par with a full set of grips....even wood secret service grips are no longer 25....mor like 45....for 15 bucks, you can't go wrong trying the hideaway....here's a pic of it on mine...smooth with finger grooves, comes w/o grooves and with stipples or no stipples....not a fan of stipples on a hard grip....

http://photos.yahoo.com/p7newbie

I tried putting a larger grip on my 642 (an Uncle Mikes', IIRC). The grip certainly made it easier to shoot. But with the larger grip, I could no longer fit the 642 in my pants pocket, which was the whole purpose of that gun in the first place. If I'm going to carry a gun on my belt, I can carry a larger, heavier gun with a longer barrel -- like my 3" model 60. So I went back to the old grips.

M1911

Hogue makes a nice lightweight, rubber pebblegrained grip for the J-Frame (as well as the Taurus snubbies).

It is a full length grip, but doesn't add TOO much length--not enough to interfere with CCW. You could compare it roughly to Uncle Mike' Combat grip in size, but it is much lighter, and is open on the backstrap side.

S&W J-Frames usually have Uncle Mike's Boot or Hogue Bantams (on the new ultra-weight Ti's) from the factory. I have a 337 AirLite Ti. It came with Uncle Mike's Boots--I changed them to Hogue Bantams--took 0.8 oz. off the weight of the gun.

The gun now weighs 11.8 oz. unloaded, 13.3 oz. loaded.;)

How about some nice coco bolo Pick-a-Grip.

S212_small.jpg

Or a nice chunk of king wood from Hogue.

60620L.jpg

Or the ever popular stag grips, getting hard to find.

8MM_MAG._1008993041_Pict0005.JPG

Last edited:
Back