Grips for PPC revolver

MPower

Aloha Guys,
I just picked uo a nicely smithed Ruger Security Six ex-PPC gun with Underlug and BoMar top. Awesome gun and accurate as heck, but the gun came with Pachmyer Presentation grips. These are not the most comfortable when gripping 5 lbs. of handgun with the weight at the front.
Where do the PPC guys get grips? I chaecked out Brownells and Hogue. Hogue has them, but they are $100 and I am not clear on how they will look or feel. Do you guys buy grips sight unseen? I dont want to pick a wood and options etc, pay over $100 and not like them. Any suggestions or online resources?

Aloha
John

All of my Power Custom PPC revolvers have custom made (even hand checkered) rosewood grips by Hogue. I sent in a tracing of my hand and had them made to fit many years ago. I don't know if they still offer that service or not, and if they do it's probably a bit expensive.

The biggest problem y0ou will face is that most PPc revos are not Rugers. S&W K or L frames are the most common. My Bill Davis Grade V built on a S&W mod 14 wears the grips made by Bill Davis.

I believe that these are the grips you are looking for.

S&w625.jpg

Robert

Robert, do they make them for a Security Six? If he had said a K/L/N framed smith (like your 625) then I would have had better answers for him.

These are Hogue's and they did not cost $100 either. Theoretically the product code for a Ruger Security Six is 87X20 (X is numbers 2 thru 9, depending on the wood type). And make sure to request a big butt cap. Cost is $49.95 plus $20 for the big butt cap. If it is ordered through a gun store, there should be no shipping charges.

Robert

Thanks for the information guys. I was hoping that there would be more PPC resources out there, and I am aware that Ruger PPC guns are rare. I will take another look at Hogue and contact them, I was just hoping there was another game in town.
View

Best
John

John,

That is an extremely good looking revolver. I hope you are able to find some grips you are happy with. Here is a pic of my revolver (with accessories) with Pacmyer grips installed.

View

My advice would be to do a search using the wording pistol grips or handgun grips and see what floats to the surface. There are a number of grip makers out there. Shop around. Try Brownells also gunaccessories.com There are a lot of places to check out for grips. Ya just have to scout around. Good luck. Hope ya find some nice grip for that sweet lookin' piece.

Mikey357,
Unfortunatly I do not know who made this gun. It does not bear any markings as far as smith, and it was purchased with a few raceguns in the early 90's by my uncle from a dealer in Honolulu that took them in from a single seller. It has taken my all these years to aqquire it from him. I don't think it is quite the measure of a Davis or Oglesby, but the workmanship is excellent as is the DA pull. If anyone recognizes the work, I would appreciate any clues. There cant have been too many Ruger smiths out there. If it was home smithed the guy knew what he was doing.

Back