grips for j-frame

switch625

i'm looking for a grip that covers the backstrap, i need to move my hand back because of the looooong trigger pull. think i want rubber grips. what are the wood grips for? only place i know of online is ajax. any help appreciated. thanks.

Switch, S&W is currently using rubber grips by Uncle Mikes. These grips cover the back strap which will help shorten the pull. The grips also move the hand slightly down which straightens the pull (straight back instead of back and up). I have a pair of these grips that I took of my wife's 637(j frame). I would be more than happy to trade these for your wood grips. Let me know if you are interested. If not, check out the thread " Grips for S&W 642". Good luck.

Same problem - my trigger finger tip touches the tip of my thumb when firing a J Frame, but the 640-1 is still my favorite. I hate rubber grips, but the Uncle Mikes Combat grip, with finger grooves (which I don't like much, either) was the only one I'd found that solved the length of pull problem. Then this guy cropped up after about a dozen searches:

http://www.inventorscolony.com/collinscraftgrips/

Type in "J Frame" in the search feature on his site - he has a wide variety of materials, styles and prices. I'm using the aged ivory micarta set in his "picture ID 160". The pic doesn't show it well, but the panels are tapered toward the butt strap, and they hide very well. Finger grooves are still not one of my best-loved things, but these do fit my hand well, and help hold things down with hot loads.

Try a Hogue Monogrip, gives you a bit more reach. Here's some on my S&W 36-6.

Attachments

• s&w 36-6.jpg
    s&w 36-6.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 117
This is the third one for Hogue Monogrips , on a 66-4 by Lew Horton bottom gun in picture

Attachments

• revolvers-1.jpg
    revolvers-1.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 92
While Hogues are great grips, I have them on most of my revolvers, they don't solve the problem Switch has which is a need for one that covers the backstrap do they? None of the Hogues I have for larger guns cover the backstrap.

Since you want something that covers the backstrap I'm going to recommend Pachmayr Compac grips which cover the backstrap - the Compac Professional do not so if you order them make sure you get the correct one.

http://www.pachmayr.com/pachmayr/revolver.htm#Compac

I have this grip for my M85 Taurus and it feels great, fills the hand very well. I wanted a smaller grip though so my Taurus now wears a Uncle Mike Boot Grip. The M85 is nearly a duplicate of a J frame S&W, if you'd like a picture of it wearing the Pachmayrs let me know and I'll get one for you.

I have the Hogue full-size monogrip on my Model 042.

It's a bit bigger than the boot grips, but it gives a LOT more control during firing.

JohnK,

Hogue monogrips for J frames (in rubber) do cover the backstrap.

Look at my attachment in the earlier post.

JB

i've got it narrowed down to the pachmyr compac's and something similiar from hogue. can somebody please tell me the difference. thanks for the replies, i appreciate it.

Since the both cover the backstrap the biggest differneces are going to be:
1) Finger grooves on the Hogue
2) Checkering on the Pachmayr, vs texture bumps on the Hogue
3) I belive the Pachmayrs are wider, but I think we'd need rear views of both to really see that.

Hmm, I would say that the Pachmayr is harder than the Hogue but the Hogue isn't a mushy soft grip by any means. It's more a question of degree than that one is hard and one is soft.

This also assumes that Hogue isn't using a different material for their compact grips than they do for the medium and large frame revolver grips. I haven't shot the small ones, but comparing the Pachmayrs to the larger grips the Pach's are a bit harder.

i really need to handle both. isn't the hogue a slight degree softer?

i'd like the softer one for shooting, but for snag free carry i'd like the pachmyr.

Back