Grips for a Colt MKIII .357revolver

DAKODAKID

As I stated in an earlier post my wife bought me a never fired Colt .357 Trooper revolver.
A trigger job was done and it shoots incredible.
I never cared for wheelguns in the past but WOW..
this is sweet.
I am amazed at how accurate I am with a .357 (used to be a died in the wool semi-auto man only).

The only thing I don't care for is the big 'ol wooden grips.
They don't feel comfy in my hand and would like suggestions on something more user friendly...

I like the look of the wood but maybe something smaller.
Maybe even rubber grips would help..
I can't believe how much I love this revolver...
Thanks for any help everyone...

Pacmeyer makes a Presentation model of rubber, in large and small, but these are about as big as the factory wood. I remember seeing fancy wood from Hogue, and I really like the 'feel' of Hogue's. Most stock makers offer grips for the Trooper III. Check the magazine racks for gun magazines. Most makers advertize in them. However, other than Pacmeyer, I've never seen a rubber Mk III grip.

Like you I have a love affair with the Trooper Mk III. I've owned 5 or 6, mostly in .22 LR, and I have a mint 4" blue .22 now. Strange to think that the Mk III was Colt's
'cheaper' model.

I suggest shopping around for a 4" or 6" .22. While not something you'd want to carry around all day due to the weight, it's a fantastic shooter, and trainer for the Magnum. I see a number of these on:

http://www.gunbroker.com
http://www.auctionarms.com
http://www.gunsamerica.com

Although these are usually priced too high.

I purchased the Hogue wood grips for my Trooper. They are beautiful and fit the gun well. However, they are as large, or larger, than the stock wood grips. I, too, am a bit uncomfortable with such a large grip. But after paying so much for them, I keep them on the Trooper! Besides, someday the gun will go to my son and he has big hands.

I have Pachmayr Presentation grips on my Colt's Mark III Trooper, and find them quite comfortable. I have long hands, although nor exceptionally wide, therefore, I like them.

Yep, that Trooper is a very accurate revolver.

If you didn't care about keeping the stock wooden grips, you could do some judicious sanding on them, and take them down more to your size. I happen to like the smoother grips, but you might not want to change the factory grips.

FWIW. J.B.

Thanks everyone for the help.
I went to my local gun shop today and bought a pair of Pachmayr Colt MKII rubber grips.
They are still big but more comfy (I have big hands).
I paid $22.00 for them and I know I probably could have got them alot cheaper on-line.
I figure the way things are going in Cali (with the stupid laws and gun shops closing down)I need to support my local shops some.
I really love this revolver and now I want one in .22lr.
In fact now I know what my next gun will be.
It would be perfect for my younger kids to shoot and .22lr is cheap ammo to boot...

Gripping and shooting the DA revolver is alot different than my semi-autos.
I am currently dry-firing with a dime on my front sight to help me get used to it..

Thanks again..
I still can't believe how much I love shooting a revolver..

Back