Grip selection for Ruger Blackhawk

As I mentioned in my post on the .30 Carbine Blackhawk, I just bought one and am looking for a pair of aftermarket grips to set it off. I am looking for a nice looking, functional set of WOOD grips. I have no interest what so ever in rubber grips of any kind or variation. I have two other blackhawks and a super blackhawk. All currently sport Hogues. I am not totally pleased with any of them however. My two blackhawks have nice hardwood grips that are approximently the same size as the factory stocks. I consider these a little small. The SHB has a Houge grip that is giant. These giant grips are great on the range but are not real practical for holster carry. I need something in between. Something bigger than factory stocks without being ridiculous. Something nice looking, something a little unusual (different). Give me some guidance.

Whiskey: Thank you. I ordered a set from the pistolgrips.com website. I got the Blackhawk OSFG w/ LP (Oversized, finger grip, low profile with checkering) in Walnut. That seems to be just what I was looking for.

I just ordered a set of grips from Eagle a couple weeks ago. I got the Secret Service grips in Ebony for my SP-101.

I have been looking at the Blu Mountain grips for my Model 28 for the last six months but can't bring myself to cough up that kind of money. I am sure that eventually I will talk myself into it.

my signature come from a song written by Steve Earl called "Tom Ames Prayer". Steve Earl and Robert Earl Keen Jr. have both recorded the song. I would recommend Steve Earl's "Train A Commin" CD to any music lover.

Hope you check it out.

I got the grips from pistolgrips.com in two days.
I love them. They were just what I was looking for and the quality is terrific. The wood is nice and is well executed.

I also got the Eagle Secret Service grips today for my SP101. Took them several weeks to get them out. I was very disappointed. They are very dull. There is very deep wood grain that is not filled in like they weren't sanded. And, they don't fit together right, you can feel the seam where they come together because they arn't even. That was $85 down the drain. I don't know much about working with ebony, maybe this is normal. Either way, I am not satisfied. They have a restocking fee and all that if you send them back. I guess I will just chalk this up as a lesson learned and not order from them again.

I have noticed that buying really nice aftermarket grips is not easy. If you want nice wood, well made etc. it is a gamble if you can't look at them first.

I would call eagle grips and ask them to make good on the grips. If it were my 80 bucks you can bet I would atleast make a few phone calls. I think Eagle grips is a quality outfit, give them a chance to replace what may be a slip in QC.

I had the same experience with my SS ebony grips for the SP101. I felt they were poorly cut and did not match at all. I eventually spent several hours sanding and polishing with steel wool in various grades until I go the grips to fit the frame and the surfaces at the seams to match. then when I fired the revolver I could feel the grips shifting. Disgusted, I proceded to wax the frame and use some glass bedding material to make a tight custom fit. The last straw came when I found that the d*mn speed loader would not work due to the grip being to fat on that side. More sanding and polishing, and around four hours later the grips fit perfectly.
Later I sold the revolver and its black IWB Kramer holster to my sister-in-law. When I traded for my SP101 Weigland Custom I hated the grips but i could not face another set of Eagle "misfits"
So I called Houge and got the best looking piece of coco bolo I ever saw and it fit PERFECTLY the first time.
SP101.jpg

Oh yeah, this is a bigger chunk of wood but they way it shoots now....I get a woody just thinking about it.

I agree that unless you can actually lay eyes on the grips, Hogue is the company I have had the best luck with. I have not been 100% satisfied with them (I don't like their checkering), but they also arn't trying to charge outrageous prices either. I was toying with the idea of sending my SP101 to Jack Weigand also. I don't want the bobbed hammer or the ports. Just an action job basically. I had a Model 29 done by him that is superb.

Back