Grip screws on My 1911 LW commander keep coming loose

ToddRvs66

Inactive
Any ideas or tricks to help keep my grip screws from coming loose. I do not want to use blue lock tite as I have tried that before and all though it kept the screws tight I was unable to separate them from the grip screw bushing so the screw and bushing came out all in one when I changed my grips out like I do on occasion

thanks

Use clear fingernail polish instead of loctite or get some #60 O-rings from your local hardware store and put them between the screw heads and grips. I prefer the nail polish.

In addition to the O rings you could use Vibratite instead of Loctite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Another vote for the little o-rings. They work well. I installed them on my SR1911 several years ago, and the problem went away and had never returned.

As an alternative, that no one has mentioned, a bit of silicon tape wrapped around the screw should hold the screw in place as well.

Bayou52

Bayou said:
As an alternative, that no one has mentioned, a bit of silicon tape wrapped around the screw should hold the screw in place as well.
Silicon tape? I don't think I have ever heard of silicon tape. What is it and where do you get it? And how do you apply it to such small screws? I'm trying to envision putting plumber's teflon tape on a grip screw, and I just don't see it happening.

Yes, sorry for the typo. It's teflon tape. I had a friend who used it and passed the idea to me.

You will need dexterous digits, for sure...

Bayou

I use the rubber o-rings on my Coonan because the grips I’m using are aluminum and do NOT flex or give even the slightest bit. The o-rings work wonderfully well.

Any one have any idea the o ring size?

They keep coming lose on my Defender and it drives me crazy. Don't want to go the loctite route and the rings sound like a great solution.

Any ideas or tricks to help keep my grip screws from coming loose. I do not want to use blue lock tite as I have tried that before and all though it kept the screws tight I was unable to separate them from the grip screw bushing so the screw and bushing came out all in one when I changed my grips out like I do on occasion

thanks
Sounds like your bushings need to properly staked.
Or a good thread locker on the bushing to frame fit.

On small screws I've used a piece of monofiliment fishing line as thread lock. Take a small piece stick it in the hole and then I stall the screw. A poor man's nylon lock nut. Works for small non-critical fasteners.

A touch of shellac, nail polish, or testers model paint will do the trick. All have worked for me over the years. Clean the threads with some acetone first, then apply the above. Rod

Back