Grip safety too loose

Ruben Nasser

The grip safety in my aluminum frame Para P14-45 is too loose in the right side (about 0.018", looking from behind), and I think it is sometimes rubbing the hammer strut if my grip forces it to move all the way to the right, and this is causing inconsistent trigger pulls. I'm afraid of thightening the frame in this area, and I was thinking of just letting the grip safety a bit loose and relieving a bit of material in its internal channel to avoid contact with the hammer strut, is there a downside with this?
Any recommendations?

There souldn't be a problem with that as long as the grip safety strut will fully engage the trigger at all extremes of play. If there is a position of the grip safety that won't engage the trigger (shen it's suppose to) then I would fit a new grip safety or take it to a gunsmith.

I would reconsider altering the receiver. Consider instead altering the parts to make them fit the receiver. Several reasons. Even if the Para is no longer under warranty (you are the second owner for instance), if you alter the receiver and you don't fix the problem, a replacement receiver is at least $75 - $100. On the other hand, a new grip safety or a new hammer strut are considerably cheaper. Just a thought.

Ruben, I'd relieve the channel of the safety itself. There's no chance of hurting anything this way. If you tighten or squeeze the rear of the frame you aren't chaning the position of the safety and if it is causing a problem by rubbing the strut it will still exist and could be worse because the safety would then have no room to move over as it rubbed. George

Thanks a lot for you replies!! I'll just relieve the internal channel in the grip safety, and think long and hard (and wait!!) for any changes in the frame.

Back