Grip panel material

Mort

I want to talk about possible materials for handgun grip panels...so I *suppose* this is the right forum. Slap me down if I've erred :)

Anyhow, I was thinking of unique materials. What would be the disadvantages of using the following materials (not counting expense)?

I guess I'm wondering mostly about durability, wear and aging.

-Tortoiseshell
-Faux tortoiseshell
-Abalone
-Mother-of-toilet-seat
-Mother-of-bowling-ball
-Lucite

And, especially:

-Celluloid

Thanks.

How about indestructible carbon fiber from Carbon Creations?

Even different colors and patterns.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

I dont know Mort - I tell you what... You make a set of grips for a full sized 1911 out of that Tortoise shell stuff and I will test it out for ya. For free even.
;)

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Weshoot2, as for the carbon fiber grips, I like 'um. I like 'um uh lot, and if I ever get a stainless 1911 it will surely sport them. But I'm a petty, petty man, and I want something completely new.

Gee George, you'd do that for me? Wait a minute... :)

Get a really bad sunburn and go with dried skin grips?

------------------------------------------

"all my skin is factory skin"

Don't know about most of the stuff you mentioned. The most unique material I'd ever seen used was baleen. Needs to be kept oiled and has a tendency to splinter.

Since it is a marine mammal product generally you'd need to either be a Native American legally in possession of the raw product or purchase the grip pannels from such a person.

------------------
Jim Fox

Back