Griffin & Howe 1935 Scope Mount

Sorry - thought the pics loaded the first time...

Attachments

• site_5_small_20.jpg
    site_5_small_20.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 155
  • site_4_small_20.jpg
    site_4_small_20.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 103
More pics

Attachments

• site_3_small_15.jpg
    site_3_small_15.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 101
  • site_2_small_15.jpg
    site_2_small_15.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 76
  • site_1_small_15.jpg
    site_1_small_15.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 71
OK, that is the double lever model.
Have you looked at the G&H site yet? Brand new ones still being made.
Yours will give an offset scope, probably to clear top loading or ejection.

How it works:
The rail with the screw holes and locating pins would be attached to the rifle's receiver on the left side by drilling 5 holes (3 threaded for the mounting screws, 2 for locator pins). The rail with the rings is removable from the rail that attaches to the rifle's receiver. This allowed the owner to store the scope in a sturdier box or case to keep it from being damaged by whoever was handling the rifle case.

I have a couple of G&H mounts sitting on my workbench, the detachable scope mounts have become more of a curio than a practical scope mount these days. The cost of replacing the rings is several times the cost of buying a good modern base, drilling and tapping, and mounting a scope. But in their day, G&H mounts were the ticket.

Just saw this ... sorry it's kinda old. I have a reprint of a 1936 Abercrombie and Fitch catalog; they have a page on Griffin & Howe "sight mountings". The model F403 covers most of the double lever mounts, which are either 22mm or 26mm diameter. They cost $32.50 if they don't have a micrometer wind gage fitted ($35 for the F405 for 22mm, or $37.50 for the F406 for 26mm, if they do have that feature). If your mount doesn't have a micrometer wind gage, it's almost certainly an F403.

There's a single lever mount, the F402, which doesn't have the fancier options and come only for 22mm tubes.

I hope this helps!

Do you know what rifle that was for?

BTW, I have two G&H mounts one of which is on the 03A3 Springfield and the other on a M1-C (While the unit on the receiver is original, the scope base & rings are repro).

The 1936 A&F catalog discusses Griffin & Howe telescope sight mounts on a Remington Model 30S rifle, a Model 54 Winchester (which mentions "the reshaped bolt handle"), and on a Springfield rifle (the example shown is a non-military rifle). All of the telescope sights mentioned on the same page are Hensoldt.

--
Michael B.

Back