Greenish-blue -- copper right?

Hueco

I finally got around to cleaning my new Ruger last night. I have not fired it yet, but apparently it was at the factory. After a few patches of Hoppes No.9, a blue-green discharge was showing up. This is a sign of copper fouling, yes? Anyway I can get rid of it quickly? Yeah yeah...soak it overnight, I know. :)

Hueco

Hueco
Is this the Ruger N0.1 in .458 that you ordered? Do you mind telling us what you paid for this rifle?

I stopped by my local gunstore yesterday and looked at a Ruger No.1 in 45-70...beautiful rifle....price $1600.

------------------
"Lead, follow or get the HELL out of the way."

I also use ammonia 28 (available in chemical supply houses) and mix a bit of it with my Hoppes. I mix as I use and don't keep a stock at hand. It really gets the copper out.

DorGunR, yes it is! And it couldn't be any more perfect. :) I paid $600 for mine. That 45-70, was it a custom job of some sort? I know a few companies do buy from Ruger, then soup them up with all sorts of stuff like engraving. For $1600, it HAD to have been gorgeous!

Gary, what is the ratio for that mix?

Hueco

DorGunR, You probably saw a Ruger 50th Anniversary commemorative. They are drop dead gorgeous, but too darn rich for my blood. On Rugers web page, most versions are suggested retail at $700 something but I forget just how much. I have seen Ruger #1 45-70's as low as $495, NIB at our local gun store.
Paul B.

[This message has been edited by Paul B. (edited March 29, 2000).]

Personally I'd stay away from ammonia solutions. It has been well documented that ammonia can cause 'stress-corrosion cracking' in barel steels (see 'The Benchrest Shooter's Primer for this info).

If you use 'Shooter's Choice' as your bore cleaner, you will get the copper out without the ammonia. (Not 'Shooter's Choice Copper Remover, which has 5% ammonia, but regular Shoter's Choice.)

Hoppe's #9 has a small percentage of ammonia, but I wouldn't worry about a single cleaning with it, or a few for that matter; but if I can pull out bright green patches without ammonia, and avoid the potential risk, I'll stick wth my Shooter's Choice.

Hueco, I was thinking of you this last weekend..was at my local gunshow and saw a brand new #1 .458 on a dealer's table--It looked AWESOME, with that big fat barrel and classic Ruger sights and styling. I'm green as hell with envy.

Paul B
You are correct it was the 50th Anniversary commemorative.
smile.gif

Man, what a beautiful rifle!

sounds like copper to me. if you are going to use a copper solvent or ammonia
(i use sweets 762 solvent) just wet patch your barrel and let it sit for no more than 10minutes, if you go any longer the ammonia can damage the metal. you do not have to scrub, as the ammonia reacts with the copper and loosens it. or a lot of bench rest shooters use kroil, let it soak overnight, but keep it away from ammunition and primers.

Back