Great Service by the BATFE tech Branch

Wildalaska

I recently had to send a Winchester 92 Trapper down to them for exam and removal from the NFA. The guys there were gun saavy, helpful, accessable by phone, polite and prompt in servicing us in this matter.

I deal with Gov't agencies everyday (like now I am wrasslin with the Department of State) and they were a breath of fresh air down there.

WildanditsnowforsaleAlaska TM

Does one always have to send the gun to them to have it removed, or was this a special case kinda thing? If you always have to send it, any idea why?Just curious

They need to make sure it is an original. It needs to fall in a serial number block, and have factory features that are verified on inspection. Its pretty much pro forma as long as the person sending the gun down knows that it is original and not faked.

WilddoyourhomeworkAlaska ™

Hmm, they've told me that the minimum barrel length for a rifle is 18" before, building an AR using M-16 parts (Like bolt carrier and such.) is illegal, and that it was a $5 tax to BUILD an AOW. (My SOT set me straight on that last one.) Your experience must just be a fluke.

No, sorry I'm not making myself clear..its an original 1916 Trapper... if it is an original, even though it is an SBR, they take it off the NFA list and it then becomes a C&R...no fees.

WildsorryboutthatAlaska ™

A Link Perhaps To The-

WA, I'm just guessing but there's probably some 1892 owners here at TFL.

Could you post the serial number blocks or a link to where they could be found?

The C&R list has quite a few 14 and 15", barrel rifles, but they only seem to be listed by individual serial numbers. Will they only list them individually? Why not classify the "type"?

The C&R list has quite a few 14 and 15", barrel rifles, but they only seem to be listed by individual serial numbers. Will they only list them individually? Why not classify the "type"

Becasue they have to be original and correctly removed from the NFA list.

WildpicssoonAlaska ™

Back