Great deal on Weatherby MK V, too good to be true?

herrick

Inactive
Was recently offered a Weatherby Mk V Accumark chambered in .300 Win Mag, for $900. Guns is used but appeared to be in good shape. I'm curious if this is a typical price for a used MK V? Price seems too low even for a used one. What should I look for?

Generally, the Mark V actions are considered to be made by JP Sauer & Son, then by Howa in Japan starting in 1970, then in the US starting in 1994. While the German made rifles may bring a premium, the Japan made ones do not lack in fit/finish. As a guide, Bluebook shows a value of $950 for 80%. Examine the rifle for any defects and check the chamber/bore for any pitting/unusual wear. If it looks good to you, buy it!

$900 is a fair price for a Accumark. They are very good rifles, good shooters, but somewhat light for a rifle that may recoil a bit. The stocks vary from mottled gray to speckled tan, depending on the year of manufacture.

I have a 338 and a 340. The 338 was made by Saco in Maine and the 340 by Howa. They are hard to tell apart, will take each other's bolts.

$900 for one with synthetic stock is not out of line.

The early ones were made with Mauser actions
The early Weatherby rifles made on FN and Sako M98 actions were assembled in California. They were not called Mark V, that is the name given to the fat bolt 9-lug actions. As Jim said, those have been made in several places.

I got hard up for money about a year ago and sold my U.S made Mark V Deluxe in .257 WM for 500.

I got hard up for money about a year ago and sold my U.S made Mark V Deluxe in .257 WM for 500.

I have enough parts to built anything I choose. I sent my son off to school with my Weatherby, he now has two sons and the gift of giving has never ended.

F. Guffey

Back