Great day with a Brasser!

ZVP

This weekend I decided to dust off my Piettia Navy Brasser and quit saving it for I don't know what?
I'd been preserving the revolver due to warnings about frame stretching, etc and just shook my head at myself!
Long ago, I decided on a 20 gr powder charge for this revolver as it shot accuratelly, recoil was nothing and no apparent strain was put anywhere. I use a Cream of Wheat filler to bring the ball closer to the Forcing Cone ( seems to help accuracy) . a presoaked All set off with pinched #11 Remington Caps.
wad and top it off with a swaged lead ball.
I lost count of the rounds but spent all afternoon shooting. Pyrodex is very clean shooting and seems to leave the least krud on the parts, I recommend it for Colt clones.
The revolver required 2 quick teardowns to clean-up a little and add some Break-free to the srbor and parts.
Being a Remington '58 fan, I was disgusted with the jams experienced due to cap fragments under the hammer amd in the frame. The Colt design is plagued with these jams and there re some small tricks to employ that'll help.
Funny, I have a Piettia Police modelthat is somehow free of such maladys and I don't know why? Sure is a joy to shoot though!
I understand that rounding the dholders of the hammer slot helps caps pass freely...
In spite of a few hang-ups the Brasser did very well! Using the same POA I was able to maintain a 2 1/2" hole torn ina 7 yard target shot standing, 2 hand. a very good showing in my book for a cheap revolver! It's Cabela's basic .44 caliber clone and the lowest priced revolver they sell.
I like it so much that I may invest in the 5 1/2" version someday!
I have long had aopnion about the Brassers, and that is that they are self lubricating! The brass acts like a bearing surface for the parts and makes them operate very smoothly.
All in all these revolvers may be a well kept secret! I wonder what the Remington clones shoot like?
I can't complain about a nice Sunday afternoon spent with a good revolver and a flask of Black Powder! Just wanted to share that!
BPDave

"I can't complain about a nice Sunday afternoon spent with a good revolver and a flask of Black Powder! Just wanted to share that!"

That, my friend, is what it's all about.

Anxious for my next outing now.

Thanks, ZVP..!

I have a Colt style brasser i have been shooting for over 15 years it has been shot a lot it is still tight and is a good shooter. One thing about filler is you can add pressure with it. Lets say you 20 grs of fff black powder using a powder measure. Black powder volume measures are not all the same most of mine though a 16-18 gr charge set at 20 gr. then lets say you fill the rest of the chamber with COW. To me a load like that feels a lot like a full chamber of fff. If you have some black powder and a scale calibrate your your measure to 20 gr for a Colt, 22 for a Remington. If you are shooting Pyrodex (I always liked Pyrodex RS better than P in my Revolvers but thats just me) by all means compress your loads good but if you are shooting black powder play around with your compression try not to crush the powder. I use a wad i make homemade wads with duro felt or old wool cowboy hats lubed with 50/50 beeswax olive oil or olive oil. Or use a small amount some kind of grease over the ball. These days i shoot my own black powder that i make myself. It has 1/3 the density of commercial black powder. I fill my chambers almost all the way full and adjust my loads by how much compression i use. It is the best powder i have ever shot in revolvers accurate and burns very clean. I am not saying filler in not a useful using to much might be defeating the purpose.

Last edited:
some of my revolvers like the ball seated forward, some don't care. For instance my 8" Remington dosen't matter, the 5 1/2" likes the ball forward close to the forcing cone for accuracy. My London Colt (Uberti) lokes the balls close up. There's no reasoning, you just try everything.
I like Pyrodex, it delays clean-up a while with no bad results.
Pyrodx cleans up easy and leavs the least residue. Good stuff!
I have 2 1/2 lbs, I just wanted to make sure I always had powder with all this craziness!
Pyrodex seems pretty consistant. you can hear that each cylinder is loaded the same. Nice solid bang! None of that Pfffttt sound you get with some propellants. Sound like they're fizzling out!
great revolvers

Sounds like all is well with your pyrodex loads. If you are getting a clean burn all is well with your lube, powder and compression. I am getting ready to go shoot my new 51 Navy i got yesterday.

Had so much fun with that Brasser, that it's going along next session!
I'll maaybe try 20 yards this time? maybe how I can group?
Shooting the big caliber stuff is fun even if it's just lumbering along! over 20 gr.
I can hot the Piettia Police .36 up if I want some serious high spedd groups!
I like the feel of the big .44 Piettia, it's so smooth!
Got a few truck issues otherwise I'd be there right now!
ZVP

Last edited:
Back