Great 124g 9mm load

Shadow9mm

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

So I managed to get my hands on a couple pounds of power pistol and decided to work a load up. I have not gotten a chance to test for accuracy yet, but the chronograph results for working the load up were very promising.

mixed 9mm brass
Winchester small rifle primers
Berrys 124g plated round nose
seated to 1.150 (per my lee manul)
Power Pistol 6.0grn

5 shot results, G19, barrel 4.02in
average 1236fps
SD 12.09
ED 29f
threw brass about 10ft

Also tested, same components, 5 shots, just different charge weight
4.5grn avg 924fps, sd 25.79, es 59. cycled but dropped the casings at my feet
5.0grn avg 1050, sd 21.61, es 45, cycles well, threw bass about 3ft
5.5grn avg 1104fps, sd 9.29, es 23, cycles well, threw brass about 6ft

Note: I posted the warning at the top for the following reasons. the lee manual lists this load with a start of 6.0 and a max of 6.6g with the listed COL and a 125g jacketed bullet. I started below the listed start and was using a 124g plated vs the 125g jacketed listed. Also I am using small rifle primers as small pistol primers are not obtainable at this point. I personally would not go above 6.0g with this load, its on the spicy side as is. primers were flattened but not flowed and showed some minimal cratering, but this gun tends to crater even at starting loads.

Berry's states to keep their plated bullets under 1250fps, and the highest was 1257fps. I may back this down just a touch in the future, but I need to load a few and do a larger chronograph sample and accuracy testing first.

Last edited:
Looks good, except I am concerned that the first load you mentioned appears to need the little blue pill. :D
Yeah, they were rather anemic, but they cycled the gun for 5rnds. Better to start too low than too high. If 4.5grn needs a little blue pill, 6.6grn would need horse tranquilizers.

I posted the warning at the top for the following reasons. the lee manual

I just bought the Lee manual and love that thing . Lots of good info in there and it has ten times the load data then any other manual ( yes I know why ) but still . Ok maybe not ten times but easily triple the amount per bullet weight . There are load combo's I've been trying to find for years , good stuff .

Interesting you just posted this . I was going to start a thread about making practice loads to duplicate your SD/HD ammo and how to go about it , still might . To bad I don't use power pistol but looks like a good load , how's the recoil ? I plan to buy some 124gr bullets soon to try and duplicate my 124gr Hyda-shocks .

Last edited:
Power Pistol is great stuff. It is without a doubt my go-to propellant for high performance 124gn 9mm ammo. Once you are done with your work up, I have no doubt you'll be pleased.

1236 with a 124 grain bullet is pretty spicy for 9mm. That’s higher than most max loads. Are you sure the chronograph is set correctly?

1236 with a 124 grain bullet is pretty spicy for 9mm. That’s higher than most max loads. Are you sure the chronograph is set correctly?
Yes. I ran 25 test groups yesterday, was a good day. I fired a known load over before I started testing and velocity was on point. The other loads were all in tge areas they were supposed to be. Most just a but under what the book stated.

How are you liking that muzzle blast/fireball?
Muzzle blast is relative. I tested some 357 mags yesterday and a couple of them had some serious pop. Didn't notice any fireballs in the daylight yesterday. But after dark they are usually bright yellow and as big as my fist. Really wish I could get my hands on some be-86, heard it's a flash reduced power pistol.

I just bought the Lee manual and love that thing . Lots of good info in there and it has ten times the load data then any other manual ( yes I know why ) but still . Ok maybe not ten times but easily triple the amount per bullet weight . There are load combo's I've been trying to find for years , good stuff .

Interesting you just posted this . I was going to start a thread about making practice loads to duplicate your SD/HD ammo and how to go about it , still might . To bad I don't use power pistol but looks like a good load , how's the recoil ? I plan to buy some 124gr bullets soon to try and duplicate my 124gr Hyda-shocks .
Recoil is hard to quantify. It reminds me of my 124g federal hst. It's softer than 124g federal fmj.

Lee manual was the first manual I bought years ago, its never dissapointed.

Definitely do a thread on duplicating a hd/SD load. That's good stuff to learn from.

Last edited:
Back