Greasing issue, Star Lube sizer

stubbicatt

I bought a used Star lube sizer. I do like it quite a little bit. I notice that I am having trouble getting enough grease in the fat grease groove of the Lyman 359 Cowboy RNFP moulded boolit. If I snug the reservoir plunger piston on down, I will get lube on the noses of the bullets, and still have erratic grease groove fill.

Any ideas? I've heard that double pumping the high pressure piston might help, but haven't tried it yet. As it is, I'll do 4 or 5 boolits, and then turn the reservoir plunger in maybe ¼ turn, until it feels snug, but I still get grease on the bullet noses if I do this.

Thanks in advance.

ETA I found the issue. Old dried up lube was forced out into the machined in ring around the die and had plugged one of the holes. Cleaned it up, and now it is working fine. Except now my problem is grease on bullet noses. I suspect that has something to do with the depth the push rod presses the bullets into the die, and perhaps a little bit too much pressure on the lube reservoir.

I'll experiment with it a bit once I've cast up some more boolits.

This is a neat tool.

Last edited:
Ribbon of grease on the nose, not set deep enough with the punch.

Grease dots on the noses.... too much heat, or too much pressure on reservoir. Usually a combo of both and a little grease dribbles out of the holes between bullets coming through.

It takes a few minutes for me to get it set up working just perfectly, but once it's set up..... stand back! I'm lubing a bucket o' bullets fast!:D

ETA:
Also..... you could get some grease on the nose if you had a shorter bullet and didn't have the correct holes plugged on the die. Some shorter bullets won't completely hide all of the available holes on some dies during the pressure stroke.

Last edited:
Back