grease over ball

mobayjd

While shooting my 1860 army today I put crisco over all chambers, I noticed on the first shot the grease in the two adjacent chambers was completely blown away! after the next shot no crisco left anywhere I know the grease helps keep fouling soft but preventing crossfires?
I have some beeswax and I,ll try to stiffen the crisco, hopefully it will stay in place. Shoot Safe

I use a coule different things. I'll melt my beeswax/lard/oil mix and pour into a shallow pan. When cool, you can press out lube pills by hand with a steel punch.
I also have a bunch of heavy felt than I punch out and dip in melted lube. I like these the best since the felt seems to clean the bore better and they're easiest to work with.
Grease and lube over the ball in a mess and doesn't survive the blast anyway.

try this 18fff and 22grain instant cream of wheat then the ball should be at the end of cylinder and my lube is 25% bees wax, 25% aloxs and 50% gray & blue from dixlie gun.. shoot all day with no cleaning and bullets clover leafs at 25 yds and at the end of day the bore will clean with 1 wet and 1 dry patch

I use goex bp and 18 fff with 22 gr instant cream of wheat which keep it clean at 1/10 of the cost of powder and use 1/2 the powder charge and in a 1858 rem it stays in the 10 ring all day without cleaning

I can't get Goex around here. I like the recoil and the boom. I don't punch paper much but I can hit fired 12 gauge hulls at 25 yds. almost every time and I've killed a passel of turtles in my pond at further ranges. I might have to spray the cylinder with balistol or olive oil where the pin goes in after a few cylinders full but that's just part of it. If I had to shoot 18 grs. of powder I wouldn't bother, it wouldn't be fun for me.

the kick or the smoke ... when I use 18 fff with cream of wheat or corn meal
I don't see or feel much different except in the wallet..I use my 357 for snakes and turles in my pond

In my Pietta 1860 I mostly use:
28gr. FFFG Goex B. P. 147gr. .457 Ball, grease over chambers.
25gr. FFFG Goex B. P. 190gr. .457 conical, groves greased

The grease is a mixture of Bees wax & Crisco & yes it does blow most of it away on the first 1-2 shots but there is enough lubricant down the barrel by that time to keep every thing easy to clean.

I've even used this loading in the past as a SD load along with the top loading above:
25gr. FFFG Goex B. P. thin wad, 12-15 pieces of lead BB's, thick over wad, wax over chambers.

That'll put a rabid Fox down at 24 feet with no problems, problem is I can't find any place where I can find any more lead BB's.

(Nice pond..seriously. I love pond fishing more than any other type.)

I never had much luck with Crisco. Always melted and ran all over.
I used the T/C lube that came in the small jars.

Thanks for all the good solutions, as I don,t shoot all that much I just ordered some pre-lubed patches for the 1860 army and a colt pocket model I have. If I start shooting more I,ll see about making my own. Shoot Safe

Thanks KAT, well I checked my order and yes 44-45cal wonder wads those should be fine. had to get .30-.39cal wonder patches hopefully I can push them down over powder with loading lever. I know you can,t use patched ball, this little .31cal colt is really getting to be a pain!

the kick or the smoke ... when I use 18 fff with cream of wheat or corn meal
I don't see or feel much different except in the wallet..I use my 357 for snakes and turles in my pond

Actually I said the recoil and the boom. I've tried light loads and there is a very noticable difference in recoil and any gain in accuracy is minute. I use a variety of guns for turtles and snakes.

Back