Graz-Buyra Semi Auto Pistol

steelbuster

A friend recently asked what I knew about a "Graz-Buyra" Large caliber semi auto Pistol he had seen for sale. My answer was short and sweet...NOTHING... Have you ever heard of this gun? I believe the spelling my be Graz- Burya.. at least I got a hit on that spelling when I put it into Google... but the site was no help although it did refer to other weapons.
Thanks , Pete

New one on me. As you say, Google turned up two references, one is apparently a Brazilian review of an Indian "shoot-em-up" ("Wesley Scot"?) and the other is a Canadian French sci-fi "future world history".

This has me intrigued enough to keep trying some other combinations.

Ask your firend where he saw or heard the term.

Jim

As C.R.Sam says, there is a city of Graz in Austria that has been an arms making area for centuries.

A search on "Burya" turns up a scientist of that name from the State Agrarian University, Dniepropetrovsk, Ukraine, who delivered a paper in Poland on "The Influence of Ultradispersed Ceramics by Tribotechnical Characteristics of Composites".

Also a Ukranian dance troop and a Russian production of Shakespeare's Tempest ("Burya" means "Tempest" or "Storm" in Russian). And several Ukranian-Americans by that name.

Ain't the worldwide web wonderful?

But nothing on Graz-Burya except that silly game scenario.

Jim

Jim, we've been trampin the same woods on this one.:D

The arms museum at Graz is neat but not usefull for this search.

Tis indeed a challange.

Sam

I can't recall the title, but it was referenced in an 80's vintage spy novel as a Soviet secret police sidearm. Russian-descended Brit is recruited for a mission in the Soviet Union. Described as a large frame, large caliber (9x21/23?) pistol. It struck me as odd at the time, because I'd never encountered it anywhere else in all the trashy military/adventure/spy fiction I was reading in lieu of doing my homework.

SA Scott

When I went to IWA in Germany this year, I saw a couple of things at the Baikal booth that MIGHT be what you're looking for; one is a compact polymer-frame DA semi-auto they called the "Baghiira" ("Burya"?), with striker firing mechanism and 15-round mag. They also call this one the "MP-444". They make a larger steel-frame version with an exposed hammer caled the "Grach" or MP-443. They've got these on their website at
http://www.baikalinc.ru/eng/prod/hguns/ . Hope this helps.

Re: Graz Burya handgun

I too read about this weapon - it was refrensed by Robert Ludlum - not sure of the novel - however he completely described it as the favored weapon of the KGB

Graz-Burya Pistol

I just finished Ludlum's "The Matarese Circle" wherein the Graz-burya is KGB agent Vasili Talenikov's sidearm of choice. Don't have a clue what one looks like. Anyone have a link to a site with a picture or more details?

Back