Graphite Dry Neck Lube

akinswi

I need to dry neck lube my cases for my progressive setup, The only thing I have is John Deere Powder graphite. Will this work?

It looks just like imperial’s dry neck lube, I dont have the ceramic media but figured I could fill up a small pill bottle and dip the case neck in the John Deer Powder graphite after I lubed the case body.

Thanks

If I were you, I'd dip a cotton swab in graphite, swab the mouth, then lube the case. Otherwise, you're liable to get graphite embedded in the case neck under any lube applied to the neck from pressure from the die when you deprime and resize the case. Probably no big deal except you'll have a lot of black necks that won't clean up in the tumbler and maybe miss a few observations of cracks after repeated resizing.

Otherwise, with reference to your original question, true graphite is graphite, the only question is particle size which might relate to quality but I will admit I am not an expert in that regard.

I've been dipping my cases in Imperial for more than 40 years. Yes, I'll sometimes get a graphite smudge, but comes right out in the tumbler.

Some graphite can actually be abrasive under some conditions, but I doubt that any that is sold for lubrication purposes would fall into the particle sizes and grades that would do that.

The Imperial that Redding sells used to come in the same tins as Imperial sizing wax and you just dipped into it. The ceramic media (NECO uses small steel ball bearings with moly, and I expect they would work with graphite, too) is not a critical addition.

You can make some Froggy's Lube by pouring some 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol into a small bottle and adding enough graphite, so the solution looks opaque when you shake it up. Apply with a Q-tip. I wouldn't bother with this step unless it turns out to be faster and easier for you. I've just been sticking necks down into the powder myself. No issues.

The John Deere Graphite is used to pour in to corn meters to lubricant the parts, you can mix it with seed and just fine, not used so much now that most corn planters are vaccumed based now and way more accurate, but thats off topic,

I just loaded 50 rds dipping the case necks in the powder I had was way easier on the expander ball, Dont know why i didnt do this in the past, just order the kit at midway, Should last for years

Back