Granddad's .22

Locke

Inactive
I recently inherited my Granddad's old .22. I would love to know exactly what it is and just how old it is. Its a pump action. The only marking I can find on it are on the bottom. It has the engraving RW, then below are the numbers, 154032.

2dukxmd.jpg

It is a prize possession now but needs some work to get it back in fine condition. I would love to get a recommendation of a good gunsmith in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Thanks

Looks kinda like my Remington Fieldmaster 121A made in 1947...great little gun, still a fun and accurate plinker/hunter.

Top one in the pic (my .22lrs):
dsc00844q.jpg

You have a Remington model 12 A it is the predisesor to the model 121. Produced in the 1920 and the invention of a Remington engineer named Petersen. Supereb design built in an era when pride of ownership and quality was the prime consideration. These were meant to last many generations, there is no plastic, potmetal castings or stamped tin parts in these. They were built from milled steel and walnut made one at a time by a skilled craftsman. In your quest to have gun repair please dont reblue the metal or refinish the stock. This severely devalues the gun and most of all it destroys its history. Every dent and ding has a story to tell.

You can sometimes tell the year of manufacture of early Remington rifles by a code system they used. On the barrel close to where it screws into the reciever on the left side of the barrel . This code is a couple letters. If you will post your code letters I will date your rifles.

Back