GP100 Problem

RWK

George,

I need some of your expert advice. About four months ago, I bought a new four-inch Ruger GP100 (the KGP-141 model). It has been flawless to date and has become one of my favorite handguns.

On Friday, I fired about 100 rounds of .38 Special 130 grain FMJ though it, as always with zero problems. This morning, I dry fired it a few times and then thoroughly cleaned and lubricated it. After the maintenance, the cylinder seemed severely bound when engaged, although I found no any scratches on the front face of the cylinder. Accordingly, I suspect there was no physical interference between the cylinder and any other part of the barrel or frame. However, there certainly was something interfering with the smooth revolving-movement of the cylinder (both SA and DA).

After gently moving the cylinder -- there was absolutely no binding or restriction when it was not engaged into the revolver's frame -- and cycling the trigger a few times with the cylinder not engaged, the problem simply disappeared.

I suspect, but I have no evidence of this, that a small shaving or some other detritus had temporarily interfered with the proper functioning of the cylinder when engaged in the frame.

My questions are:
a) Do I have a problem?
b) Should I do anything now?
c) What is your analysis of what happened?
d) Is this a one-time occurrence, or will it likely happen again?
e) The GP100 is under warrantee; should I now send it to Ruger?

Thanks very much for your expert help and advice.

Regards.

I don't have a GP 100 handy, but as I recall, if your cylinder assembly is in the wrong place whey you replace the trigger group, it will bind. The same problem happens when the front sideplate screw is installed improperly on S&W guns. Remove the trigger assembly and ensure that the cylinder is all the way rearward when you reinstall the trigger group. Ensure that the orientation of all of the parts is proper. YES, YOU DO HAVE A PROBLEM.

RWK, Badger is right but it sounds to me like you cured it. I wouldn't send it back unless it occurs again. And then I would try Badger's suggestion before shipping it off. George

Interesting. A friend of mine who is a dealer called me the other night with a very similar problem on a GP-100 he ordered for a customer. I have not seen the gun and will not see it, but he stated that the cylinder would not open except with great difficulty and the cylinder would not turn at all. The gun was new in the box; he simply returned it to the jobber. Would be interesting to know exactly what it was...

------------------

I have had a 4" GP100 for years. I noticed
a strange binding of the revolver on a couple occasion when it was fairly new.
I was able to free it up and the problem seemed to go away as I used the gun.

I figured it was new and need to break in a bit.

Back