gp100 grips....

wolfe 21

OK, so I finally shot a gp100 I've had laying around for a couple years and I understand why people like revolvers so much(always been an auto guy). My only problem is two-fold though: first I got the fugly hogue grips from the factory with mine. A stainless revolver just looks wrong with black rubber grips... second, those grips have a bulge right in the middle of the backstrap that irritates my hand.

Solution: i need new grips. So i want a set of nice wood, finger groove, round butt grips. Either in rosewood or a darker tone that will pop against the stainless. Its purely a range toy that doesn't get shot much, so recoil isn't a concern.

Recommend me a good grip maker to find what I want. Found some on eBay, but they're from SE ASIA and my old man would kick my tail if I bought anythings mg from that particular corner of the globe....

Strange, I have the opposite view- I think my Stainless Security Six looks better with the Pacmyr grips it came with than the factory grips.

That said, I always try to use the "US Only" option when buying gun pieces from eBay, especially grips. Have you checked out the wooden grips from Hogue?

For quality wood grips, I tried my two standbys (Marshall grips and Altamont) and neither produce what you are looking for.

I have two GP100s. I bought a set of grips for each from the eBay seller in Thailand.

I think they're mahogany, but am not sure. Anyway, the fit and finish is decent, especially for the price I pad (about $40 per set). i like that they have Ruger medallions on them, too. The only change I'd make is that I'd like to shorten and re-contour the straight set of grips at the bottom to make them fit my little elf hands a bit better.

gp1001.jpg

gp1002.jpg

The modern Hogue grip is one of the most offensive looking things I've ever seen attached to a handgun. :eek: Totally with you, there.

I lucked in to a set of new Ruger factory grips pulled from a Wiley Clapp edition GP-100 offered here on TFL. I love the look, think they feel terrific and doubt I could luck in to another set of them. They look fantastic on my 4.2" .327 Federal chambered GP-100.

Another round of thanks to TFL'er RsqVet. Fine guy to deal with and I love that his tastes in revolver shoes does not include the Wiley Clapp grips! :D

Yeah, I've heard the old style factory grips are miles better than the hours. And the Wiley Clapp grips are really nice....

Lowercase, the second picture is just what I'm looking for... Are they comfortable in the hand. My problem is that I have long fingers, so I need something a little bulky to provide the right placement for my hands and trigger finger...

Lowercase, the second picture is just what I'm looking for... Are they comfortable in the hand. My problem is that I have long fingers, so I need something a little bulky to provide the right placement for my hands and trigger finger...

Yes, they are comfortable in the hand. They would actually be more comfortable to me if I had larger hands (I have very small hands). They are not small grips. I've let a friend who has considerably larger hands shoot the gun, and he really liked it with those grips.

Does anyone know why Ruger started sending out the GP100 (at least the stainless one) with the black Hogues? i'm in total agreement here, they look terrible, i've been put off getting one just for that reason.

It's not going to stop me though, i've seen too many of the older style grips (as above) and others that let me see how good looking this gun really is.

Zombie thread! Well, you can actually order the empty rubber grip from Midway then order inserts separately. I'm considering it, but I really like my grips I have right now.

J0lboye.jpg

Ruger switched to the Houge because Lett went out of business(the original grip maker for the GP100 with wood inserts).

I have a lot of different grips for my GP100s, as I was searching for a good one for my hand. As Skidder said, the Uncle Mikes is an excellent grip. These are no longer available, and can be difficult to find.

Since the OP said he wants a large grip, I wont recommend the original compact grip, even though its a great grip. The old, full size grip is available from several sources. Altamont has them, with a bit of fancy checkering in the rubber(unlike the original).

I also have several sets of the grips from Thailand. For the money, you cant beat them. They are well done, and made from beautiful wood. They are full size grips, and I am happy with the ones I have...

100_2680_zps732485a1.jpg

100_2687_zps19ac2bce.jpg

Yeah it's a zombie thread, but look at the beautiful gun pictures it produces :)

It's good to know that the 'ebay' grips seem to be of good quality, and thanks for the info as to why they stopped with the original grips.

I'm wondering if they'll redesign the grip again, now that they've got the match champion model and the wiley clapp grips being popular.

I really like that first pic you posted, weblance.

I like both the look and feel of the Hogue grips on my GP100. Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And the hand.

I'm wondering if they'll redesign the grip again, now that they've got the match champion model and the wiley clapp grips being popular.

The Altamont Grips are so alike the older Lett grips, I wonder if they bought out the Lett rights to make them? I also wonder if Ruger went into some kind of contract deal with Hogue to use them for X amount of time/years and they have to wait for the contract timeframe to finish before they can go with something else? Maybe the WC and MC , being distributor/special editions don't fall under the Hogue contract and that is why they are able to go with different grips? Maybe Ruger will revert to all Altamont grips once this contract with Hogue is up?

I have no clue....

MAYBE, Ruger actually likes the Hogue over all other grips and thats why they have them and continue to use them.....But, seeing how I also hate those Hogues, my mind has a hard time wrapping around that line of thinking! The Hogue grips are too big and ruin the look of the GP100.

Hogue grips are pretty popular these days, I can remember when Pachmeyer ruled the roost and if you asked for some Hogue's people looked at you kinda funny. I personaly really like the nylon grips, first set I ever bought went on a Redhawk, couldn't stand the way it moved around inside the Pachmeyers.

Micahweeks, really hard to see the grips in the tiny picture you posted.

Might it be possible to get a larger image so that we can see 'em a bit better? ;):p

How is eagles QC at this point? I like the looks of their no groove grips, but there are a lot of negative reviews.
How do the no groove hogue wood grips compare to the old Letts?

I like the way the "insert" grips feel, but I can't stand the way they look.

I have rubber monogrips on mine now which work for me, but I'd kind of like to get some more "classic" looking wood grips.

Micahweeks, really hard to see the grips in the tiny picture you posted.

Might it be possible to get a larger image so that we can see 'em a bit better?

Oh, crap! Lol. I just now looked at the picture from my computer. I posted it from my phone earlier which automatically resized it for my screen, but that obviously didn't happen for everyone! Wow. That's just.... huge. My bad! I'll see if I can get that down a bit.

EDIT: Got it edited! You should no longer need three widescreen monitors to view my majestic GP100 grips.

Last edited:
Back