GP100 factory grip option question...

Jim March

On close inspection of the Ruger website, it appears that GP100s with fixed sights have a shorter grip frame and more or a round-butt setup.

See also:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/rvmedium.html

Is it possible to switch to the smaller grip if you have an adjustable sight gun? I've only handled the adjustable-sight GP100s.

If not, is there any combination that includes adjustable sights and the smaller grip?

Jim, the answer to your question is,yes, the compact grips from the fixed sight GP-100s are a perfect fit with the adjustable sighted models. I have a four inch, full lug, adjustable GP that I fitted with the compact grips and I like them very much. Lazarus

OK, so how do you get the shorter grip?

Ruger's "accessories page" doesn't list the alternate short grip. Where do you get it, how much, and is it a user-installable option?

Though I prefer it, the grip of the fixed-sight models causes the revolver to point lower for me than the standard grips. Laz, since you have both, does that apply to you? I don't know why you couldn't call Customer Service and order a pair.

VictorLouis:

That difference in pointing is typical of "round butt versus short butt" comparisons on S&Ws. That's why Hogue sells a lot of their "square butt conversion grips" that fill in the rounded butt on a round-butt S&W K or L frame.

In my case, I use a Weaver hold with the elbow slightly bent and dropped on the strong arm. That means my strong-side forearm is rising up to meet the grip, and THAT means I want round-butt, which is more or less what the smaller GP100 grip is.

This grip seems to allow me to take more of the recoil at the elbow and relieve the wrist of some of it.

If you use a more "pure horizontal, locked elbow" grip as seen with some Weaver and Iscoceles variants, then yep, I can see how the barrel is gonna droop some. The key contact area is at the base of the palm opposite the thumb; the fatter the grip is at that point, the higher the barrel will rise.

You do raise a good point, Jim. I just don't notice this in my Smiths for some reason. Round-butt or square, it doesn't make a difference, AND Hogue's are my favorite grips.

Back