GP100 Action???

Coop57

Aside from dry firing and lighter springs how can I lighten the action on a new GP100. I am spoiled by my S&W 686 with 25,000 rounds through it.

Brasso

An old timer recently suggested using Brasso to accelerate the "smoothing" of the GP-100's action, by: (1) leaving the Brasso on wearing elements you want to smooth and, when completed, (2) carefully cleaning up the residual Brasso and any detritus. I'm skeptical, because I don't want to damage my GP-100s, but this gentleman really knows his stuff.

Why not a lapping compound? The abrasive grit is likely to be far more consistent dimensionally than that in a pot cleaner, and no ammonia which like any alkali is not good for metal...

I wouldn't recommend either. I know of one instance where a gent put lapping compound on his hammer and sear in a 1911 and ruined both parts. You can't control where the stuff goes when you reassemble the pistol. The best thing to do is to take it to your local smith and have him smooth it up. If you don't have anyone near you, feel free to e-mail me. George

Back