GP-100 question

Hotboy

KY Imports has the GP-100 in 4" barrel and stainless NIB for $300. They also list the KGP-141 NIB for $325.

What's the difference between these two guns? I can't figure it out and the Ruger site doesn't list the GP-100 in their list of revolvers.

Thanks!

On that page you mentioned, if you look in the catalogue table below the picture of the "GP-100," there is no listing called "GP-100."

Is the "GP-100" designation a family name that includes GP-141, GP-161, KGP-141, and KGP-161 in both blue and stainless?

This is what I suspect...can you confirm it?

Thanks.

Yes it is. The GP100 is a general model number, and the other numbers are more os a "catalog number". Ruger does that for all of their firearms. It might be confusing at first, but it is good in a way. I imagine that most manufacturers do the same except that they don't let the public in on their catalog system. With this method, you can pick the exact gun that you want and order it from your dealer by catalog number. That way there is no question about if you asked him/her for adjustable/fixed sights or anything like that. Good luck! I think you will be happy if you go with a GP100. Many here are very satisfied with theirs.

Thanks PF.

So I guess if I buy from KY Imports, I'll get the GP-100 in 4" barrel and stainless NIB for $300 rather than the KGP-141 NIB for $325! ;)

Although, the fact that they list it both ways leads me to believe that whoever is in charge of listings doesn't know what they're doing! :D

Be careful what you order. You may want to verify with the vendor that the less expensive is indeed stainless and has adjustable sights. The adjustable sights is/are definately worth $25.

Well it depends now. WHat is your purpose for this gun going to be? If it is primarily a range gun, then I would say that adjustable sights are worth paying for. However, I am not much of a range buff. I worry about plinking and defense. I shy away from adjustable sights so I definately won't pay extra for them. You will never find that you accidentally bumped your fixed sights out of alignment unless maybe you drop it from a good height onto a hard surface. In that case you have more to worry about that sight alignment. It is all a matter of preference though.

Out here in the PRK (and especially in the Bay Area), we don't have a lot of places to plink, so I would guess that most of my shooting will be at a range.

If any of you Bay Areans have a "secret" location to plink, I'd love to have you email me to invite me to tag along. Of course, I'll wear a blindfold and take an oath of secrecy! ;)

like what PF said,...GP100 is the general model number. specific model numbers would be like,... KGP-141, GP-160, KGP-161. what it designates is,.. "K" will mean stainless model, NO "K" will be a blued model. "GP"- is always there. first numeric is also always there. second numeric ex. 4, 6... designates the barrel length, and the last numeric is either "0" or "1",... "0" will designate a half-under lug, and "1" will designate a full under lug (under lug the full length of barrel). FYI,...this is just my own observation of how they use their model number, TIFWIW.

Back