GP-100 dilema

gunner357

What choice do I make.

I tried the actions on a new GP-100 and S&W 686plus today at a local shop. The GP had a stiff and heavy DA that I know how to fix and can improve easily. The new S&W stunk. I know it can also be fixed. Wow, it has been a long time since I tried out the new generation Smiths. They stink. I have an older 66 with a sweet DA/SA. I don't particularly like it except in single action. I shoot my SP101 better at 21 feet and closer. Groups DA are about the same.

Well now the dilema. I want a GP-100. Thing is Fixed vs adjustible. 3 vs 4 inch. heavy barrel vs full lug. Will be carried CCW and defensive shooting practice. I don't hunt with handgun and if did would go with big bore. Fixed sights don't break but GP adjustible are excellent and easy to switch to alternatives. Adjustible gun is heavier. I like the smaller grip on the fixed sighted guns but this can also be fixed easily.

Basically I would like the owners of either or both models to sound off on rationale in choosing what you have or what you like best if you have both.

AND AGAIN

Own two KGP-141, 4" stainless full-lug AS 357's. They do everything for me, and I have changed the front blades.

Strong (ha!), accurate, durable, and fit me. I'm 5'9", but can wear one IWB (two is a stretch LOL).
Carry, hunting, IPSC, you name it.

Also have the KGP-141. Love it. I favor adjustagle sights because I tend to be a perfectionist. I don't like to aim off center to center my hits. Set point of aim to be point of impact. Also, IMO, the adjustable sights make target acquisition easier.

As far as length is concerned, I don't think that the extra 1" is a big deal for concealment. I usually carry IWB.

I have no objection to fixed sights on a defensive gun. Foolproof, if regulated properly from scratch they will only show slight vertical error with ammo changes at defensive ranges.

Sam

Thanks for replies.

Had just about decided on the 4 inch KGP-141, Will need to change stocks to round butt design. In agreement with others on this choice. Will also one day have to have a 3inch fixed sighted model. Just which one first, huh.

Hey Mec,

I believe this article is yours is it not? If so have you chronographed the hornady 158SWC-HP load yet? I loaded some in 38 with 4.5gr Unique. Shoot well and cut a nice hole in paper. Also read the Paco article on the Centurian site the other day and loaded up some reversed HBWC with 4.5 gr Unique. Have yet to shoot this one. Have any thoughts on this load?

Clarify

I mean in the sp-101. All the loading I do, I don't have access to chronograph. Usually trust the books and go with most accurate for gun.

I skipped over the hornady 158 in the snub

because I was mainly thinking of it as a good varmint and walking around load. I've gotten some remarkably small groups with the swaged HBWC's turned around backwards in my 3" Smith Model 60 . These were loaded over 3.5 Bullseye and doing Middle 700 fps range. The would expand well on wet pack.

Tried the same gambit with my old 6.5" Ruger .32 mag and it didn't work out -keyholing.

I own the KGP-161 and love the gun. I just put in a 8LB trigger spring and 9LB hammer spring. Took my drumal and polished all the trigger parts. WOW what a differance. It now breaks clean at about 2 3/4 LBs.
It is the most accurate 357 revolver I have. Your making a great purchase.

Tony

I would go with the 3" fixed sight, short lug. It's as close as you can get to the old Speed Six 2 3/4" which was an excellent carry gun (I should never never never have traded mine away).

I have a 4" full lug adjustable sight GP100 and it's a terrific revolver, no complaints about it at all but it is a bit large for CCW. If that's the main reason you want this revolver I'd go with the 3" fixed, short lug. If it's for more general use then the 4" adjustable makes a good choice.

favor for defense load....

Thanks Mec

Just curious about the 158 because of favoring this load for defensive use.

I like lead hps too. The load I've used in the 2.25" Gp is the 158 lyman 358429 over 14 2400. I shot a 40 pound shall we say undifferentiated quadruped at 35 yards with this and it was quite effective. Velocities were in the 1200 fps range and I have driven the bullet to 1300 from the short barrel which is, im sure , would quickly loosen up even an sp101. I/ve always found the deeply hollowpointed lyman bullet to be an effective stopper of various varmints.

choice

My vote is for the 3 in GP. I am in the middle of the 10 day waiting period to pick mine up. I own Smith's in 2 1/2 and 4, but the 3 inch Gp can function as a field gun or a ccw gun. Ruger makes 6 different front sight blades for the gun , so you should be able to dial it in for your load.

Back