GP-100 as pimp gun?

David Park

In an effort to overcome my counting problem (which I'm pretty sure now is lack of practice), I'm planning to buy a Ruger GP-100. I was checking prices locally for the KGP-141 model when I came across a "limited edition" version with cocobolo grip and gold trigger, hammer, and cylinder latch. You can see a picture here (scroll down): http://members.tripod.com/gunrunnerswv/id15.htm

Since this will be my first revolver, it will be a user. However, I also plan for it to be my open carry gun, since open carry is legal in VA. I think wearing a nice-looking revolver in a quality tan leather thumbstrap holster would be pretty cool while shopping for CDs at Best Buy. :cool: (The irony is, I just got my concealed handgun permit today.)

So, do you think the limited edition a good buy? It's about the same price as a standard GP-100 plus aftermarket wood grips, which I was planning to buy anyway. Will the gold hardware wear easily with use and start to look crappy? Is this just too flash for a user gun? By the way, the picture isn't that great and it looks better in person, but there's no avoiding all that gold. Your help is appreciated. :D

That's purty. I wouldn't mind a couple of them. The 38/40 - 40S&W convertible above it is quite interesting as well. :D

Uh, David?

Are you REALLY sure that you want to try open carry in Alexandria?

Yes, it's legal.

But are the cops going to harass the living hell out of you, and find something to charge you with, such as creating a public nuisance/disturbance?

I'd bet yes on that, as well.

Sounds like what you're looking at almost qualifies as a "BBQ gun", not a pimp gun.

See this thread for more detail. You have to read the whole thing for context, but the part about the BBQ gun comes in about halfway through.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38717&highlight=bolo

Maybe we can get LawDog to expand on the definition of a "Court Gun", so we get the contrast better, and so none of us makes a bad mistake if we're ever in court in Texas.

edited to correct the spelling of BBQ gun

If I am not mistaken, a Court Gun would be one that has a deep mirror finish blueing on it. ;)

Mike, yes I really want to try it, and I won't be surprised if the sheeple freak out. I am curious to see exactly what does happen, though. I'm more willing to try it now that I have my permit, because (a) I have proof I'm a "good guy" and (b) I can always cover up the gun and go about my business. I do plan to avoid Alexandria city, where open carry is illegal, and stick to Fairfax county.

I'm wondering if a gold-hammer revolver is somehow less threatening to the sheeple. I'm also starting to have doubts about the gold plating myself, since it's apparently real gold and therefore not that durable. This won't just be my court gun. :eek: ;)

David, I definitely agree with Mike in this matter.

A lawyer well versed on the subject (Michael Murray, Esq., Fairfax, VA) once told me that "Concealed means concealed and nothing else. If you have a CCW license, your handgun must remain concealed, period."

You can test the waters if you wish, that is certainly your prerogative, but you may end up losing that license. I also shudder to think what would happen if someone saw you "cover up the gun" and go about your business, especially if that business means walking into any store, bank, etc. Think really hard about it before actually doing it.

Thanks for the advice, Mal. About covering the gun, I had meant I could do that after someone complained about open carry "disturbing the peace" or whatever. I hadn't thought about losing the concealed handgun permit, though. I definitely don't want to lose the "privilege" of carrying concealed just to demonstrate my right to carry openly. :mad:

I'm really starting to doubt the utility of gold plating on a carry gun. Oh well, if I ever feel the need for a really tacky BBQ gun, this place seems to have an endless supply. :D

Back