Gov't Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the last shutdown resulted in NICS being shut down. When the .gov has no funding, only "essential" personnel are required to report to work, everyone else is furloughed. I doubt NICS is considered an essential function.

I worked at an FFL/SOT during the last shutdown, and I work at a different one now. These shutdowns don’t affect NICS, but they do affect NFA paperwork.

The "government" shuts down every weekend and most holidays. Nobody freaks out.

Essential services and personnel, DON'T "shut down". Might have some effect on certain paperwork, but in general the whole "we's all gonna die cuz the gov shut down" is all a bunch of manure.

Unless I'm mistaken, most of what the gov does isn't required by law. It's allowed, funded, authorized, and promoted, but not required. Things that are required get funded, gov's bills get paid, checks written, etc, because its a violation of law not to, as long as there is any money at all.

I would think that the background check required by law is one of those things.
The system can "break", it can be "overloaded", it can be "backlogged", but I don't think its allowed to be "shutdown".

The political types will say all kinds of stuff. Most of it isn't real.

Were one party really smart, they'd be shouting gun sales must be suspended, because the other party "shut down" the govt.

DO you hear them????

crickets....

I don't.

The President has a lot of control over which services are offered. If prez wants the people to feel the pain (Obama wanted America ti blame a “Do Nothing” Republican Congress), then he will do things to make the people feel it.

Trump wants to show the world that he handles the shutdown better than O, so he will likely do what he can to make sure people that may support him will feel less impact than they did in the Obama era shutdown.

Aguila Blanca I thought the last shutdown resulted in NICS being shut down. When the .gov has no funding, only "essential" personnel are required to report to work, everyone else is furloughed. I doubt NICS is considered an essential function.
Wrong. FBI NICS continues to operate normally during shutdowns and always has.

jersurf101 The longer it goes on, the more likely it affects NICS. Jmho
Unlikely.

If NCIS was shut down due to GOV'T shut down then my Mules, NCIC, DOR, and other systems at the police department wouldn't update. One of the systems we use is managed by the FBI, and so is NICS. During the shut down we still recieve updated info such as delayed hits and system purges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back