Gov. Ed Rendell "Assault weapons difficult to operate . . .

Wow. Only the cops and military should have them... because they jam easily and are inaccurate.

Great. :rolleyes:

I shoot better than at least 90% of the cops in this country (and I'll back that up with any 10 officers willing to meet me).

I wonder, since those high capacity assault weapons jam and are inaccurate, if all the Pennsylvania cops should turn in their AR's and Glocks in favor of .38 special revolvers and side by side coach guns.

Hmm. No? I guess they probably work okay when police use them. 'Cuz they are the only ones professional enough.

Guys like this make it so easy to turn this into an "us vs. them" mentality, especially with low hanging fruit like DEA-pro.

I like how that only argument (in his mind) to keep the assault weapons was that it was a "slippery slope."
What ignorance...

Then you throw out numbers like 3 cops killed here, and 2 there. Yeah, okay... So when a plane crashes and kills over a hundred people, should we ban aircraft because they are too dangerous? You got to look at the big picture, and the big picture is that assault weapons just dont kill people...

In the clip, he says, (paraphrasing) that assault weapons jam, they're inaccurate, they fire at close range, and they are very powerful.

Then he turns around and says that in Pittsburgh, an AK-47 was used which was so powerful that it was used from house a long distance away to shoot right through a police car. He said it "blew right through a police car". I think he was trying to make people think it "blew up the police car" without actually lying and saying that. Wouldn't most people say "shot right through a police car" rather than "blew right through a police car"? I think he was trying to "magnify" the power aspect of the AK-47 for the generally, firearms-ignorant, public.

Ok, so, they only fire at close range and are inaccurate, but the guy in Pittsburgh shot a cop car from long range and it "blew right through the police car". Wow, what a self induced contradiction on his part.

There's a reason his nickname is "Fast Eddie" and it's because he plays "fast" and "loose" with the truth.

He also said that any citizen who owns an assault weapon is crazy. Wow, I guess he just declared me to be a lunatic. I just might be the lunitic you're looking for. ;) (Billy Joel)

Last edited:
Fast Eddie also implied that we should support the police by making sure they are the only ones who have guns which jam and are inneffective. hmmmm. Maybe he's on to something there. I'm only kidding, but he wasn't.

I know that many CLEO's are in support of the AWB, but from what I've read, the majority of the foot soldiers, the cops on the street, are not in favor of an AWB.

Kinda reminds me of that clip I once saw of Dianne Feinstein trying to put the handgun magazine into the AK-47.

I'd love to see that. I also loved when Tucker Carlson asked Carolyn McCarthy if she could explain or define what a barrel shroud was. She was absolutely in chaos trying to come up with a dodge. In the end, IIRC, she admitted that she couldn't. Yet part of her bill attempted to use the term "barrel shroud" to help define the classification of a firearm as an "Assault Weapon". That was eye opening and I wish we could get every member of John Q public to see those types of things. That'll never happen so each and every one of us needs to educate as many friends, relatives, acquaintences as possible to innoculate them against the Fineswine flu.

Tucker Carlson asked Carolyn McCarthy if she could explain or define what a barrel shroud was

That one's easy to find, and should be circulated often... so here it is one more time :

"It's the thing that goes up!" Boy I never get tired of watching that one! :D

I love how he says that anyone who uses an "assault weapon" for home defense is crazy because they are so ineffective (sort of like bringing a spoon to a gunfight), but they need to be banned because they are such effective killing machines. Plus, he says they are only effective at close range (obviously not true), just how long a distance does he think a home defense engagement is going to be?

Someone's been watching to many movies. Most video games have a more realistic depiction of guns than this guy!

"the only argument against these weapons is the slippery slope argument"

Yet Thomas Jefferson wrote...

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms (within his own lands or tenements)."

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Here's what I learned from the Governor today

Assault weapons:

Jam and they are not very effective

Are Suitable for Military and Police

Only good close up (therefore suitable for Military and Police)

Will go through a patrol car at great distance

Difficult to use (therefore suitable for Military and Police)

Jam easily (again)

Put out a ton of fire at one time

Only purpose to kill and maim (therefore suitable for Military and
Police
)

Also:

If you have an assault weapon to protect your house, you are crazy.

They are very powerful (though not powerful enough for humane deer hunting in some states.)

There is no argument (against banning them.)

The only argument that Wayne La Pierre has against an AWB is the slippery slope.

Owning assault weapons can be equated with civilian ownership of a surface to air missile.

Italics mine

Ain't we lucky they ain't after the pump action Mossberg or remington loaded with slugs that rarely ever jam, easy to operate and will knock down anything not in a vest and many that are...
Brent

I can't wait to see the next press release...

State to buy powerful, but lousy rifles
HARRISBURG (API) - Governor Rendell today announced the award of two contracts totalling $2.5 million dollars to purchase patrol rifles for all state police officers, emergency reponse teams and other law enforcement agencies. The contracts will provide over 1200 rifles over the next three years.

The contracts were awarded after an in-depth review of all the manufacturers of AR-15 rifles. Colt firearms was selected to arm the State Police and its emergency response teams while other agencies will receive models made by Bushmaster Firearms of Windham, Maine.

"These rifles are powerful enough to blow right through a car and take out a suspect" Governor Rendell said during a press conference. "These are powerful weapons and will give our police a powerful tool against crime" the Governor said. "These rifles can blow through a car from over a block away. Felons can't hide behind cars for protection anymore."

When asked about the power of the guns, Rendell responded bitterly by saying, "We're not huntin' ducks with these rifles. Officers aren't sitting on their butts by some pond, drinking brandy-laced coffee and scratching their privates. They're facing armed and desperate men." Then the Governor quipped, "These rifles are good only for short ranges, they're difficult to operate and they jam easily. They can put out a ton of fire at one time too. And because they exist only to kill and maim, they're well suited for the police to use in our state."

[/sarcasm]

Rendell is a .....

Let's not use bad words. Also, deeper analyses are our thing at L and CR - not just rants!

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
Back