Got to shoot a full-auto MP5 for my birthday!

jersey_emt

My girlfriend surprised me with a great birthday gift -- a trip to the range to rent a full-auto gun!

It was an HK MP5A2, fixed stock with an 8.9" barrel. I got to fire 200 rounds through it, which of course went by insanely fast. It was so much fun....and surprisingly controllable. I was able to keep almost all rounds on a standard B27 target at 10-15 yards, even when I went through an entire 30-round magazine in one long burst. With short bursts it was pretty easy to keep everything in the 8-ring at the same distances.

I still have a huge grin on my face over 24 hours later. Best birthday present ever! :D

MP5 - great gun

Yay for you! I wanted to fire a Thompson for most of my life, and when I finally got to, I rented a MP5 at the same time. After firing both, the Thompson wasn't my number-one want any more. MP5s are lighter, just as accurate and controllable, and have much more ergonomic controls. Ten years ago they cost about $5k, so pricey, but still within reach.

I moved to AZ in 2009 and went in to price them out (in the middle of the recession, remember). I almost fell over that they now cost $20k. :eek: I'll barely pay that for a car! :).

Cactus Kent,

MP5s are nowhere near $20k. You can get a converted HK94 (semi-auto MP5) for under $10k, I've seen them in the past year or so for $8k. :)

FA MP5

I was talking about a Full Auto/select fire MP5. They are between 15 and 22k, depending on where you get them. Were you talking about semi conversions to FA for 8 - 10k?

Yes, conversions that have been done years ago, I see for $8-10k. Factory MP5s are indeed creeping up toward $20k, though.

Wish I'd looked in the same places you did

Humph... I checked all over the web (I thought) last June for an MP5 under $12k and didn't see any. Had to settle for an Uzi and Browning M1919 for a little more than some of those MP5s were going for. ;) The feel and shoot-ability of HKs is hard to beat though.

I'd like to know where you've seen clone MP5 conversions for under 10K. Just a registered auto sear runs 10-12k w/o a host. Every select fire MP5 on subguns, and sturmgewehr are all 15k+ with the exception of one .40 S&W that was 14K.

While select fire stuff has taken a hit, it hasn't been that drastic of one.

I agree, I have yet to see any mp5s under 10K. M16 type MGs on the other hand, Ive seen a couple around $8800 in the last 6 months.

They are probably thinking of HK 94 SBRs that have a 3 lug smg barrel installed and a clipped and pinned lower so they look like a SMG.

Back