Got to fire a .475 Linebaugh today!

inGobwetrust

We had a turkey shoot at the Cheshire County Fish and Game Club today and a fellow member let me try his Freedom Arms in .475 Linebaugh. It was the coolest handgun I've ever fired-thanks Herb! (By the way, he let me fire his .454 last weekend, great guy)

I wish I could afford one of these but the Freedom Arms line is out of my reach. Does anyone else make a more affordable version?

The FA is the only factory .475. Otherwise, you will have to get a custom conversion done by Bowen, Linebaugh, etc. -- usually on a Ruger Bisley frame. For a cheap thrill, you might try the Taurus Raging Bull .454 or the Ruger Super Blackhawk .454 or the new .480 Ruger -- essentially a .475 light.

FA in .454....45COLT !

I'm with you about the looks of the Freedom Arms
but consider the .475 just another reason to buy a
gun and we ALL need more guns, of course. Are you going to be hunting very large game ? If not, I think it's a waste. I would opt for a .45/
.454 for a number of reason, if you REALLY need a FA. For one, have you looked at the cost of brass,
lead and dies ? 'Dies' is about right ! A properly loaded .45COLT can take on anything around the lower 48. If you plan on hunting the
BADEST on the planet then the .454 would handle
them. ( Don't forget that in the '60 the .44MAG
was used to take all the game in Africa for years.)

A good way to go would be to send a 6 shot Ruger to Bowen, or others, and have him fit a 5 shot cylinder and all the other goodies. For a lot less cash you'd get all the firepower AND THE BIG
BLAST anyone would need. Just my opinion, of
course....BEST....dewey

It has nothing to do with need, it's just plain old fun! I guess I must be a recoil junky. I am considering a Raging Bull .454, just because.

Well?! Tell us how do they compare, recoil-wise. (.454C vs. .475L)

I've have the .475L with 7" octagonal barrel on my list (Premier Grade).

I have a S&W 629 that I fire quite regularly with some pretty stiff loads but I really didn't know what to expect from the 454. To be honest, I kind of expecyed it to kick a lot worse than it did. I don't recall what ammo was used. To me it felt like about 1 1/2 times the recoil of my .44 with 270 grain Speer Gold Dot soft points. I fired from a Weaver type stance and it rocked my arms up to about 30 degrees. I'm about 175 lbs BTW.

The .475 Linebaugh was a whole different league!I fired from the same position and my arms were propelled to almost 45 degrees. After several rounds the webbing of my hands hurt-a lot! We were shooting at a manhole cover at 100 yards. The loadfs were Buffalo Bore 420 grainers at 1350 fps. I can't wait to fire one of these again but I think I need to buy a box of rounds first.

One day I plan on getting Bowen to put a 5-shot .45 Colt cylinder on an N-frame for me. I plan on shooting 'bout a 350-grain at 1050 fps, but 420 grainers at 1350 fps? That's insane! :D Better you than me...

Spectre,

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...have you looked at your shotgun lately? You know-the Beast. Spectre wants to hunt Cape Buffalo with a 12 gauge and calls people who shoot .475 Linebaughs insane? Go figure:p

When we go to Africa, I'm taking a flat shovel and a cigar box to bring him home :eek:

I have to agree with you on Freedom Arms revolvers, they are the best. That's why I own seven of them.

357 & 41 mag mid frame 7.5" bbl.
41 & 44 mag. large frame 5.5" bbl.
454 Casull, 475 Linebaugh and 50AE large frame 7.5" bbl.

"Designed like a Swiss watch, built like a vault"

HandCannon,

How much was your .475L, if you don't mind me asking? (Retail being ~$2K.) What kind (Premier or Filed Grade)? What specs (round or octagonal, adjustable sights, etc.)?

Ohhhh......

Well, just got am e-mail back from FA. Octagoal barrels are +$455.00 over the price of the .475L. Looks like a round tube for me.

Back