got this narrowed down to two finalists...HELP ME!

SkaerE

hopefully my binocular search will soon end...i mean damn, how hard can this be? ;)

anyhow,

down to IOR 8x30's w/range finding reticle ($255) - heavier (17oz), prolly built tougher, higher magnification, dont like the reticle as much. 95% light transmission. lifetime warrenty

or Navy One's Apache 7x28 binos (same as military M24 - with the M22 reticle) ($279)
lighter (13.5oz), passed US milspec testing for M24 binos (drop tests, water etc), has M22 reticle that i prefer. lower magnification and smaller obj. 90% light transmission. 5 yr warrenty.

ive heard great things about both binos. i used the M24's a couple times in the Army but it was a couple years ago and i had nothing to compare to. ive just recently heard of Navy One binoculars, anyone have any experience w/them?

thanks

If you're mostly a sitting hunter, weight is less important. If your hunting takes you across several miles of country, it's a whole 'nother story. Just a thought...

I'm sorta stabbin' blind, but if you can look through some really good binoculars--Swarovski, e.g.--and compare with your choices, it might help. I'd be somewhat less than pleased if binocs at $300, +/-, weren't all that much better than those at $100. Even more perturbed if they were obviously poor as compared to the high end stuff.

Maybe $0.01 :),

Art

SkaerE,

Just got around to reading this post, and then read the other one you posted earlier on binoculars earlier. I've got a pair of Steiner Predators in 8x30, and I like them pretty well. Went up to Cabelas in Nebraska (stay out of that place unless you want a credit card meltdown!) and checked out a whole bunch of binos at the same time. Had some of the same search parameters you had and ended up with the Steiners. Nice and compact, clear all the way to the edge of view, and a good price - $239.

Hope this helps - JohnDog

The military is buying 7x28 binos? Yuck. Those aren't binoculars, they're opera glasses! Please tell me it was a typo.

BTW, I was a Cav Scout too once upon a time. SNEAK, PEEK, AND RETREAT. -- Kernel

yeah, they have 7x28's, i used em a couple years ago. they really are compareable to the steiner 7x50's until dark.

hell, a 7x28 has a bigger exit pupil than an 8x30 does...

Back