Got the Old Remington in the mail today (pics finally uploaded)

BerdanSS

Well that Remington I bought off armslist came in the mail today. The outside isn't as rough as I expected, and the bore is near perfect :) save for a tiny bit of light surface pitting halfway down the barrel at the 7'o'clock position from the muzzle. The pitting is on the lands only. I think I may refinish the cylinder, barrel and loading lever....but will leave the frame the worn gray, I kinda like it that way ;)

<pictures posted in just a few minutes > After I get the new camera going :o

One thing is the frame is completely void of any markings or proofs. The barrel is the only thing marked. Left flat reads: BLACK POWDER ONLY-MADE IN ITALY-CALIBER 44 Top flat reads: NAVY ARMS Co. RIDGEFIELD N.J.

No other markings anyplace, Pietta or Uberti?

Last edited:

Timing is like a Swiss watch and lockup is rock solid, think it's going to be an excellent shooter :) Have a couple things I need to do though. Open the notch in the hammer, lightly stone the sides of the hammer (two big burs) and change the nipples. This pistol looks to have been the victim of many dry fires and some fanning.

Berdan

I agree about the cylinder.....

I am reaching back but I think the Navy Arms 58 was built by ASP.

The metal of ASP pistols (at least the 58s) has a special appearance, a patina, that in my opinion appears to be a bit unique.

It is grayer than pistols from ASM. Harder? Softer? IDK but it is kind of nice patina and the frame on yours seems to have it.

Yours does not have the dovetailed sight so I could be very wrong about ASP. But when I saw the photos I immediately exclaimed, "ASP!"

Were the Armi san paolo pistols proof marked as well? or maybe this pistol was partially defarbed? Funny you should say that though Doc. As soon as I slid it out of the shipping box, and wrapped my hand around the grip....I thought "this doesn't feel like a pietta". The first thought that came to my head was, the grip feels small....almost dainty :p But yet, it fit the hand well and points like a dog on a ring-neck:D

Don't think I did to bad for $100, the holster by the way isn't fit for a cap gun

Last edited:
Older Piettas also had smaller grip but the style of the loading lever and shape of the grip has me thinking it's an ASP (Armi San Paulo) too. Grip also looks like an old ASM as well. ASPs that I know of had dovetailed sights and loading lever retainers, but who knows.

If anyone had to wager a guess....would the nipples most likely be 1x28 or 6x.75? I need new ones. Thinking about Slix-shots

Nice! I actually like the looks of it just as it is - looks like good honest wear. Should be a good shooter too. I agree with Doc - I'd jump all over it at the price you gave for it. Good luck with it and let us know how it shoots! :)

Howdy

Lower the loading lever and see if there is a maker's mark hiding on the underside of the barrel. Armi San Paol will have DGG on the underside of the barrel.

There may be a proof mark there too. All firearms made in Italy are proofed in government proof houses.

ArmiSanPaolotrademark.jpg

No proofs under the loading lever either. The only thing under the lever is (I'm guessing) the serial number. And I had to remove the lever and cylinder pin to see the whole number. Which reads 180

Some ASPs

were marked with DGG under the grips.

Might also find that the grips had the serial number repeated in magic marker.

I have an ASP which has the serial number on the bottom of the grip frame.

bedbugbilly said:
Nice! I actually like the looks of it just as it is - looks like good honest wear.

+1 - IMHO, it reeks of "character" the way it arrived !

I wouldn't do a thing with it - except shoot the snot out of it.

Doc

Funny you should say that, I did a full take down and detailed cleaning on the pistol last night. When I removed the grips and scrubbed the gunk off (looked like packing grease) there is a very light (too light to read) impression of three letters on the bottom left corner. I'm going to do a rubbing later to see if I can pull the letters enough to make them out.

In addition to the cleaning, I polished, honed and removed burs on all the internals and insides of the frame. As well as increased the clearance in the frame for the hammer which was dragging while being cocked. The action is now slicker than an eel in crisco :D

Back