got the new GPR barrel in this morning

cowboys1062

Around the first of last month I am the one who ended up breaking off the rear barrel lug when trying to tightening up the loose wedge keys on my 50 cal. GPR. I was told to send the barrel to Lyman. The tech. emailed me and told me that they could not reinstall the barrel lug and that they were going to ship me a brand new barrel. The turn around time was about a month. I received the barrel with a new tang this morning. I installed the tang along with the barrel and put my wedge keys inplace. The wedge keys were a nice snug fit and everything went together just fine. The owners manuel says that they have a one year warranty on their rifles. Ive had mine since 2007 and they still replaced the barrel. Lyman customer service treated me real good and honored the warranty even though Ive had the rifle for over eight years. All of you wanted to know how I made out at the end so here it is. I had a very positive experience with them and they honored their warranty when they didnt have to. I will do buisness with them in the future. cowboys1062

bishop creek

Yea they are top notch in my book! They could have told me to go take a hike and they had every right to do so but they didnt. Ive had the rifle seven times longer then what their warranty states and they stood behind their product and took care of me any how. It certainly cost them and it didnt cost me anything.

Glad it all worked out for you! Sounds like you had a good experience with them and are now back in business. Good for you! :)

I like Lyman . . I use quite a few of their reloading products. Now, if they could just get the grip screw on their Pachmeyer grips located in the right spot so they would fit a S & W Combat Masterpiece without interfering with the mainspring . . . I'd be happy as a butterfly on a bush. But hey . . . not everything is perfect. :D

It's nice to hear you got it taken care of without too much pain. Now just go out and enjoy shooting that rifle . . . and have fun! :)

bedbugbilly

Thankyou I had it out this weekend. My groups were not all that good but could put them in a paperplate at fifty yards. I will put about two hundred PRB through the barrel before I start working up a new load or mess with the sights.

Two thoughts:

GPR barrels are cut with rifling that ...

- Is extremely sharp to start. Take some JB bore paste and give the barrel at least 100 strokes with a tight patch to knock the edges off a bit.

- Likes 0.018 - 0.019" patch material (spit-lubed :D). Whatever ball size* that will then seat with smooth force in a wiped barrel usually shoots exceptionally well.
(See http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=9397296&postcount=15)

* (Likely 0.495" in the 50 Cal)

Reading Patches

GPR barrels are cut with rifling that, Is extremely sharp to start.
I have found this to be so, on Lyman barrels. Doesn't take much to break that knife-edge and I follow up with reading the patches. Not a compliant, just understand what I have to work with. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Mehavey and Pahoo

Thanks for your advice. I know that GPR barrels can be finicky when new and that they will cut patches at the beginning. It was not until after owning my first GPR barrel for a couple of years that I was getting consistant accuracy. Your advice is well taken and received. It will help me out and Im sure I will obtain better accuracy quicker on this new barrel.

Back