Got My Stamp! Now I have some questions.

Deja vu

I filed out a Form 1 SBS last July (paper form) got the approved form back yesterday. I am very excited. It is a Lever action Chiappa 1887 Boot Leg
Deluxe. It will have a 9.5 inch barrel.

I brought my Shotgun over to the gunsmith and he informs me that he is happy to cut the barrel down (as long as I provide him with a copy of my stamp) but he does not do engraving.

I know I have to have it engraved. But I have a question. My Shot gun is a lever action 1887 shotgun. Is it lawful to have the frame engraved under the lever. The law reads a little odd to me. I would have to open the lever to see it but I dont think that qualify for taking apart the gun but I want to make sure.

Last edited:
Nothing says the engraving has to be visible from across the room. Anyone inspecting the gun for engraving would (should) open the action anyway.

I would engrave under the lever if it was mine.

Please make sure that the engraver you choose is aware of the size AND depth requirements for the engraving. Most lasers will NOT get to the required depth. Fyi

Check with BATFE, but I am pretty sure that if the stamp is in your name, YOU have to do the work. Some folks say that is not true, but BATFE says otherwise. If you hire someone to do the work, HE/SHE has to have a Type 7 FFL and a Class 2 SOT.

That is really no problem. You just cut off the barrel below 18", then the gunsmith can finish up the work since he didn't manufacture the SBS, you did.

The initial cutting can be any length less than 18"; it doesn't matter as long as YOU make the SBS. Anyone can engrave the information on the gun.

Jim

Back