Got my Coach-through for IDPA yesterday

tharmer

Went to the range looking for IPSC guys, but found the cowboy shooters instead. They looked like they were really having a good time. I stayed to watch for a while, then I asked about IPSC and one of the shooters said go talk to the guy in the black hat. I walked over, but lots of guys were wearing black hats so I just picked one. Turns out he was the RO who ran IPSC all last year. Very nice guy. He hung up his spurs and we went over to the IPSC bays where he spent two hours showing me how it was all supposed to work. I had my gun with me (a Matthew Mink worked CZ75B) so he set up a few stages and we walked through them. Of course I sucked but he was very kind. He said if I did what he said I wouldn't DQ and if I didn't DQ (based on how he saw me shoot) he guaranteed that I wouldn't come in last.

The most important point he made, other than the points about safety, was that speed was not as important as accuracy...at least when you're starting out. He suggested that I literally walk through the stages, drawing and shooting in extreme slow motion and that the only thing I concentrate on was seeing the front sight and making deliberate, aimed, shots.

Darn, I appreciated all his effort. My first match is this coming sunday. He said let the RO know I that this was my first time. That the RO would appreciate it and give me some extra scrutiny with respect to the 180 rule, the above the berm rule, and the sweeping rule.

My goal this weekend is to be safe, not get DQ'd, hit a few 5's and have fun. If anyone has any further advice, I'm all ears.

BTW he loved my gun, but said my reloads were too soft (4.2 231 under Montana 124 RN). Said it wouldn't make minor. So today I tried out some heavier stuff (3.5 231 under 147 Montana RN). This load grouped pretty will at 30 feet. Again, if you have pet loads, I'd love to try them.

Hope I have fun. There's a lot to learn about but he says there will be at least two Grand Masters so I'll have some good models to look at. He also says DON'T try to be as fast as them, just slo-motion through the stages and I'll be fine.

Got butterflies already and there are six days to go.

Are we talking IDPA, or IPSC? Your topic says IDPA, but all of the references in the post are to IPSC (RO, Grand Master).

You got some good instruction. You have to walk before you can run, so concentrate on getting good hits, and being safe in your gunhandling. While Grand Masters are great role models, you are going to approach the stages much differently than they do. Pick a couple of C class shooters who are smooth in their movements, and try to follow them. Shooting fast saves very little time over the course of a match, but economy of movement, and a good plan, properly executed, will save you whole seconds. Don't rush, and get your hits.

blammo ammo

Please describe specifically what components you currently have on hand: powders, primers, cases, bullets.

Help might arrive....

A33102

Here's what I've got:
Montana 115 TMJHP
Montana 124gr FMJRN
Montana 147gr FMJRN
Hard Cast 147gr LTC

Power Pistol
TiteGroup
w231
Clay's Universal

Primers are all Federal l#100
Cases are all new or 1F Winchester (but I also have 1K *I* cases too. Are they OK to use?)

Just want to make minor which is, what, 125 pf?

Of course the lead TC's are half the price of the others so I lean to that. For that weight I need about 900 fps so that's where I've been looking

Today I'll try the Titegroup at 3.0 (3.2 was good), Power Pistol at 5.2, and w231 at 3.2--all lwith the LTC. Darn that TiteGroup is dirty. For a moment there yesterday I thought I was shooting black powder. Do I need to shorten its OAL (currently at 1.133)?

All of these loads chamber, fire and extract perfectly in my CZ 75B.

Appreciate any help.

-terry

Last edited:
3.0 to 3.2 gr of Titegroup with a 147 gr bullet is one of the "standard' USPSA/IDPA loads. Your gun should run at 1.135". I am not very concerned with a little OAL variation. My target length is 1.135". UCL is 1.140" - LCL is 1.130".
3.0 might not make Minor out of a CZ. Glocks tend to have faster barrels and work well with 3.0 gr.
I would pass on the rest of your listed powders.
BTW Titegroup is a little dirty with lead bullets. Too much nitro in the formula. If you want to stay with lead bullets then go with Solo 1000. It is a single base powder without any nitro.

Back