GOT MY 9 !!

BigG

Picked up a little new years present at Bernie's in Atlanta: A S&W 940 2" Centennial model stainless 9mm with full moon clips. A nice piece and for $299, including a box of ammo, a nice price.

Bernie always treats me right.

BigG,
Welcome to the 940 Club!
I really like mine. I've had it for a few years now and have put a lot of rounds down range since it was new. I acquired a model 60 in .357 awhile later and didn't like that as much as the 940 so I sold the 60.
The only negative thing is the sideplate screws tend to loosen unless a sealant is used.
I really enjoy shooting the 940 in IDPA Back Up gun matches.
I hope you enjoy yours as much.
Neil Casper

Thanks, Cat!

I had the 357 snubby (I think Mod. 640) but it was way heavier than the standard snub so I sold it.

I got four full moon clips with the 940. Appreciate the tip about the sideplate screws.

This has a standard extractor. There used to be a nine that had an extractor that would work with the rimless cartridges.

Decent price. The cheapest I've seen a 940 going for around here (Northern Virginia) is about $350.

S&W's other cataloged 9mm revolver was, I believe, the 547. It had the spring finger clips that allowed extraction without moon clips. It was moderately workable, but if you had a case that was really sticky, you could play hell getting it out without a pencil or something to poke it from the front of the cylinder. The fingers could skip right past the extractor cut, or in a worst case scenario, snap off (but I've only heard of that happening once).

All in all, the moon clips are a much better solution.

Prior to coming out with the 547, S&W tested the concept for a 9mm revolver in a series of Model 19s that they modified. I've seen one, in a private collection, and would LOVE to get my hands on one.

Hi Mike!

Do you ever go to Clark Bros in Warrenton? I used to go there every weekend when I lived in NoVa. Great prices on guns. Free 100 yd range for their customers. Can't beat that with a stick. For example, I bought a couple preban AR15s there for $695 quite a bit after the ban.

Back