Got me a pistol!

Bailey71

My dads good friend gave him a RUGER P91DC .40. So my mom didn’t want it in the house so he calls me up to help at their new property. When I was about to leave he just hands me this case with what looks like a new gun inside with two mags and a holster with three boxes of ammo to boot! The only way to tell it wasn’t new was that the owners manual pages were a little yellowed. I’m a rifle guy but when I got home I checked it out and ended up putting 33 rounds through it. Shoots good and feels good. Anybody have experience with one?

I had a P93DC, which is pretty much the same, but in 9mm. It's been almost 20 years since I sold it, but I'd buy one today, if I found one.

Greg

The P91 was in the middle of the P series of Ruger pistols. A good solid firearm.
I purchased the last in the series, a P345 which I purchased in 2006. Described as a tank, it will certainly be useful far beyond my life and my son will certainly get a lot of use of it.

The old P series Rugers are nice, solid guns. Not the prettiest guns in the world by any means, or the most ergonomic, but they were reliable and well worth what their owners paid for them.

I didn't own a P91, but I did own a P90DC and a P89DC. Both were stainless. I bought them both brand new back in about 1991 - 1992ish. The P90 was dead nuts accurate, it'd shoot with any 1911 that I owned. The P89 was a little less so, but it did well in its own right.

IIRC, the P91 was Ruger's first 40 caliber handgun. I sold both of the Rugers a couple of years ago, simply because my gun collection had expanded and I didn't shoot them much any longer. They still looked and operated like NIB, and the new buyers were very happy with them.

I don't know if Ruger still supports the P series pistols. There may not be factory parts or service available for them any longer.

I've owned a couple 95s I'd love to have back.

And a p94 stainless.

A p89 gave me issues. Locked up so bad it had to go to Ruger. They could not salvage it so they offered various new firearms at marked discount.

Got a Ruger commander sr1911 for like 400, so I was happy!

P-series

Yeah, the big Ruger P-series autos have a reputation for being tough and reliable. They were extremely popular at one point, I'm thinking just before the Glock invasion. Seems like I've read, perhaps in "Ruger and his Guns", that they were developed and submitted for the military pistol trials when the 1911 was dropped and we ended up with the Beretta, but that is all from memory and I could be wrong about that.

Watch out for non-Ruger mags. I've seen a lot of those pistols for sale with aftermarket USA mags, which do not have a good reputation for function.

I took a Ruger P95DC as collateral for a 200 dollar loan from a work mate. It was only a few months old. After the aggreged 3 month time he told me it was mine. I put one box of 9 MM threw it and it functioned prefect, was as accurate as you'd expect but I just didn't like it. Too big and clumsy for a 9MM. Sold it for 300 and bought a 1911, HAPPY CAMPER hdbiker

Last edited:
built like a tank, hold onto it.
Indeed.
In 1989 or 90 I read a story of a test that Ruger did on the original P85 (I think. Possibly the P89?) Anyway, they threaded the barrel internally and screwed a threaded rod down the barrel to stop just a bit forward of the nose of a chambered round. They fired the gun (remotely) to see how it would hold up. Total damage? It blew the extractor out of the gun. They found it embedded in a wall. They replaced the extractor; replaced the barrel with a stock barrel, and fired another 10,000 rounds through the gun before ending the test.
That's a bomb-proof gun!

I do like the looks of your RUGER P91DC 40. The converging lines of the frame, the cuts of the slide, grooved grip and the overall pointing forward of the piece, downrange where it sends the hurt.
A blaster for those not afraid of a little metal and planted enough not to be tipped over by the mass of it on the hip.

Back