Got forcing cone?

Carmady

The marketing folks would call this a "generous" barrel/cylinder gap, or I'm not seeing something.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1 ab.jpg
    1 ab.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 482
Maybe a .38 only cylinder in a .357?

That's what I was thinking, like a 64 cylinder in a 65 frame maybe. The barrel should have the caliber (of the barrel/frame) written on it, but I can't read it, and it might be on the other side.

Howdy

Every S&W revolver I have ever seen, the forcing cone section of the barrel extends back beyond the frame. Does not matter if the wrong cylinder is in there, the barrel should extend back beyond the frame.

Like this:

MPRoundButtParts-1.jpg

Either there is a weird reflection with that photo, or something is very wrong.

Put some light on the cylinder gap perhaps that is an illusion, have never seen a barrel ported like that one, looks like top and bottom. Where did the photo originate?

I'm going to take a WAG, based on the missing forcing cone and the hole in the forward location of the barrel this is a film Prop-gun.

To clearly understand what is going on, we would need a photo with the cylinder outside of the frame.

I can't tell for sure if I am seeing clear thru to the desk, or I am seeing a shadow of the barrel extension.

If there is a .200 gap between barrel and cylinder, then of course something is horribly amiss. The photo is not clear enough to me.

Wild guess. Is the barrel also plugged? I'm thinking it's converted to only shoot blanks. Even if you loaded a live round in, it wouldn't allow a live bullet to escape and, the gas could vent.

I brightened it up a bit with Paint.net and I think there IS normal barrel into the frame.

The picture isn't very good, but I think the shadow shows that it's normal.

:confused:

But now... looking again.... if that's shadow of the topstrap and not lighting on the affected area....well.... I just don't know.

Attachments

• 1 ab.jpg
    1 ab.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 155
Lets yank that barrel out and put in a model 64 4" barrel I got in the parts bin and get that thing shooting again. Looks like it was modified for something but with out better pictures who knows?

Still no answer on the source of the image.

I missed that. The pic came from an online ad, brief, but saying "good condition" or something like that, made no mention of any weirdness.

I have a 64 and the forcing cone sticks out between 1/8" and 3/16", around .150".

As I indicated in #10 I would bet it is a crummy photo but that does not explain the ports in the barrel, a blank pistol would need to block the chambers so a live round could not be fully inserted. Obviously the source and disposition of the firearm will never be known.

Back