Got cast down the tube with the vz-58!

armoredman

I shortened the range to 50 yards, and used a B-27 target - don't laugh, I know it's blue, the store was out of the black ones...

vz58at50yards.jpg

I had forgotten to replenish my stock of cast loads from the last trip with the CZ 527M, so to my great chagrin, I had a grand total of 8 rounds. I did bring plenty of jacketed loads that I had used earlier, but not enough cast. This is what happened at 50 yards.

castboolitsinvz58.jpg

Room for improvement, but show promise. BTW, no keyholing, that's just tears in the paper, all actual bullet holes were round and normal.

Not bad. What formula are you using?

I'd love to shoot my CZ and Saiga more, but can't bring myself to buy more than a couple boxes of Wolf at a time.

Wow, I gave up on anyone answering this one. :) That was 19.5 grains of AA#1680 under the Lee 160gr tumble lube boolit, gas checked, wheel weight metal, light Lee Liquid Alox lube, mixed well used brass, Remington 9.5 large rifle primers, COAl 2.20. I tried that same load in the 527, had wide groups, so I loaded up a bunch of testers to use, maybe tomorrow, at 18.5 grains, 19 grains and 19.2 grains.
It's a sloooow load. No chrony, shot the last one to death, never could afford another one, but I could hear the impact on the paper. Just trying to find a plinking load I can afford to cast for, as jacketed bullets are expensive for me right now.
The vz seemed to like cast with no issues, but next trip I'll be shooting about 60 of them, and will pull the gas system apart to check for leading in there.

Oh come on now, you know I'm always interested in cast for the x39. :cool:

FWIW, I went through 9mm and 45acp tumble lube boolits and had trouble with both. Maybe you read my last post on CastBoolits but once I switched to a 'normal' lube type, my groups tightened up considerably. I still use Alox on them.

I have never used anything but LLA, never learned how to "pan lube". Also I'll probably want to find a 125grain boolits mould for this caliber, as the 160 works, but I think it would do better with the 303. Still, we march forward!
Well, not really, twisted my knee at work, can't carry the target holder down range for a while...:(

Way to go Armoredman. Get some more loaded up, shot, and report back (with more pics).

Question/Comment about placement of the target -- Are you skipping rounds off the ground? What's behind the hills? I think it would be better to put longer legs on your target holder so that it lines up with the berm (bullet catcher) on that very nice range.

That's the longest I can make the legs and it still fit in my little Kia. :( It was bigger when I had a van. No problems, the mountains behind are an additional backstop, they are much higher than it looks in the pictures. There has been no trouble noted from any rounds coming down on the other side - all farmland, for one thing. I have seen my rounds after hitting the target, they are hitting the berm. :)
Couldn't make it out, weather was bad, little car does VERY poorly in deep mud. :( Try again tomorrow.

Jacket fouling? Usually it's the other way around, I would think. :) The range and roads have been flooded the few times I have been able to head out there, we'll try it again as soon as I can. And yes, the cast will be fired through a cold clean barrel, and the barrel will be cleaned before any jacketed bullets are fired.

as salvadore said it's a good idea to clean your bore of any copper foulings before shooting lead,copper strips lead off the bullet. Alliant 2400 and Reloader#7 are also two good powders to use with X39 cast bullet loads.

Back