Got Another With Handgun...

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. Today, I shot a decent north central Texas whitetail taken under fair chase conditions with my Dan Wesson Patriot .45 pistol.

Still had decent light and shot her this afternoon about 5:20PM using the Hornady 200 gr XTP over 7.0 gr Unique. The doe was angling toward me about 55' away. I put the bullet just in front of her left shoulder such that it "pole axed" her from front to rear at a slight angle to the right. The bullet did NOT exit, but it was lost while field-dressing the animal.

As was the case with the one I shot with a .45 Colt handload, the animal jumped when shot and ran. I followed the bloodtrail about 80 yards and found her. She still had her head up so a coup de grace for humane reasons. That's why there's blood around the head.

She weighed about 115 lbs or so.

The Patriot continues to work just fine, holds its zero with adj sights and did not malfunction.

This pistol has done good and continues to serve well.

Best.
fceed0e8.jpg

SAC
Way to go!
I have been so tempted to give one of my 45s a go at whitetails.

Guess that takes care of the jerky supply for a while!
S-

Great job, Mr. Camp! We got a limitation here in GA where the handgun needs to have 500 fpe at 100 yards, iirc. That leaves most handguns out. I always wanted to shoot a deer with my Delta Gold Cup or a 45 Auto. :D

Back