got an idea for a gun

predator86

i was sitting at work tonight and an idea came to me about a redesigned shotgun...it isnt anything for hunting or skeet shooting but more for just plinking in the backyard for fun my questions are-

what do i have to do in order to make a gun from scratch on my own time??

how much does it cost to get permission to build a gun?

i would really prefer not to spend any money until i know that it will physically work, i could easily see me spending 1000 bucks on tax crap and then finding out after i built the gun that it doesnt work or something like that.....

So long as it's not an NFA (National Firearms Act of '34) weapon, in the case of a shotgun, 18" barrel or longer & greater than the minimum{I forget the number} overall length, just do it.

There is no law that regulates your making of firearms for yourself. You just can't sell the firearm you make, unless you have a Federal Firearms Manufacturer's License.

While there is no marking requirement, it might be prudent to mark the completed firearm with your name and a unique number.

So, have at it, just keep it from being a "sawed off"!

Regards,

Walt

Last edited:
Ooooh, watch it, it can never be, at least not unless the law is changed...is that what you meant?

cool....thats what i was hoping....and no it is not an nfa weapon....at least not yet....

Back