got an I frame

JERRYS.

Flat latch, model 30 no dash .32 Long, 3" nickeled (~80%?). haven't shot it yet. degreased, fondled, and new grips on it (cheesy plastics came with it).

I think it will be a good gun for my teenaged daughter. six shot center fire I think is better than her 8 shot rim fire.

can't add pix for some reason. :rolleyes:

IMHO, six rounds of .32 S&W Long is better than 8 rounds of .22 LR. Plus with the CF rounds, there is a lot less possibility of a misfire and you can go to a lighter trigger pull. (The minus side is that the CF rounds cost more, meaning, usually, less practice.)

Jim

I have 2 Regulation Police 'I' frames. Neat little pistols. I'm sure you and your daughter will enjoy yours. If you reload, you can shoot 32 S&W Long for about the same cost as cheap 22s. Keep working on those pictures. We want to see your new gun.

The price of .32 S&W Long isn't that bad and for the distances that an I frame revolver is going to be shot, there's not going to need to be a lot of practice shooting done to become good enough for a defensive use.

The real reason to have an I frame .32 is the reliability, bigger bullet, and better trigger.

The price and an extra 2 or 3 rounds of .22 doesn't make up for the heavy triggers and potential rimfire ignition failures.

Then when it comes to .22 Magnum, there's no comparison. .32 > .22 Mag

I have one too, in nickel finish, even. Even though it's a hundred years old, it functions just fine.

You made a good choice. I don't understand why anyone would choose 22 over 32 long for SD. Personally, I can barely tell the difference in the recoil.

Many seem to think that there's nothing between 22 and 38. I truly can't understand that way of thinking. On the rare occasions I'm away from home, I leave a 32 revolver for my wife and daughter (in addition to the two large and protective dogs).

Congrats! .32 long is a fun cartridge to shoot and a six shot I frame is a nice little package. As ligonierbill points out, it can be very economical if you reload.

.32 long is a fun cartridge to shoot and a six shot I frame is a nice little package. As ligonierbill points out, it can be very economical if you reload.
Even more economical if you cast bullets. I too have an I Frame .32 S&W Long.

I thought the Model 30 was a J-frame? I have a regulation police 4 inch made in 57 which is an I-frame and a 30-1 snubby from 68 and it is a J-frame. Would love to find a 3 inch and a 6 inch.

I thought the same, but according to Wikipedia (always right, isn't it?) the Model 30 started as an 'I' frame with a round butt. Later 30s are indeed 'J' frames.

it is a flat latch, 3", I frame, round butt, in nickel. I'm guessing the manufacture date to be late 50s.

Upload Errors
20180111_122918.jpg:
Upload of file failed.

doesn't say file is too large. just keeps giving this error message.

Congrats on a fine little revolver, I do enjoy me some 32 long wadcutters. I can shoot them all day and the smile on my face is hard to remove. I found a love for the 32 cal weapons during the 22 shortage and am glad I came around, as a reloader I did not know how much fun I was missing. Hope you get the picture thing worked out, would love to see the new addition.

You should be able to find an image converter program that will reduce the file size of your pictures. I use "Ic" Free Image Converter.

The actual pressure figures are 15,000 psi for the .32 S&W Long and 20,500 for the .32 ACP. While percent increase is high, I would not expect problems with firing the latter in an S&W solid frame revolver. (S&W never chambered their break tops for the .32 S&W Long, only for the .32 S&W [Short]).

I would think the greater problem (if any) would be the smaller and thinner rim of the .32 ACP (.045" VS .055"), which can give ignition (excess headspace) problems and extraction problems in a revolver.

Jim

In case no one else says it, never shoot .32 ACP in any .32 top break revolver. Even max .32 S&W Long loads are too much for those top breaks.

Technically, the early Model 30s are not I frames, they are Improved I frames.

The Improved I frame was slightly larger than the I frame in several critical dimensions, including frame window sizes, and also introduced the coil main spring.

I THINK that the Model 30 continued to use the Improved I frame until sometime into the 1960s, when it was transitioned to the J frame.

My Model 30 snub, dating to about 1972, is on the J frame.

i bought the only box of .32 Long at the time i bought the gun, today I picked up a box of wwb .32acp as a fall back until I can get some regular ammo.

Back