Got a new drill press for

Arkady Kobach

drilling the holes in the M-10 and M-11/9 subgun sideplates I build.

Less than $200 through Amazon but had to have help to get it bolted down to the workbench.

Lighted with laser centering too!

Attachments

• wen-drill-presses-4214t-64_1000-768x768.jpg
    wen-drill-presses-4214t-64_1000-768x768.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 109
I bought the next model up--it's OK; I replaced the chuck with a better one the goal being to reduce bit run-out as much as possible. The table schema for raising/lowering and locking I'm not crazy about since it is hard to center and prevent tilting. Don't count on the laser center for being actual center.

Very nice !!!

drilling the holes in the M-10 and M-11/9 subgun sideplates I build.
I don't see a question but I like this press, primarily because it's nicer than mine. ...... :)

Yes, now you need to get a "good" matchinist's vice. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

I bought one of those, just to have a small on in the basement shop.
Works pretty well, not as good as some but I am happy with it.
I use my mill for anything that has to be spot on but for general use I like it.
And honestly I don't think I've ever used the laser deal.

I replaced the chuck with a better one the goal being to reduce bit run-out as much as possible.
Although chuck quality is generally pretty low, across the board, I have found debris in the taper to be a common cause of run-out.
Often, removing the chuck, cleaning the tapers, and reseating the chuck will reduce run-out by at least 50%.
On my own Hazard Fraught bench top drill press, it did even better -- reducing run-out from almost 30 thou to under 6 thou.

Now that, right there, is why I bought an Albrecht chuck thirty years ago, but I suppose a chuck that now costs more than twice what the drill press did seems a bit over the top. The worst situation I saw was a self-taught gunsmith who used the key chuck that came with his Chinese lathe to hold his chamber reamers. No floating or flexing reamer holders for him. Every chamber he made was fat at the back due to the offset and ejected shells that wouldn't drop into an RCBS Precision Mic or fit any of the Wilson trimmer's case holders.

I thought I needed a new press. I was going to do a little work on my gun and needed to drill one hole. Called my friend up first to see if I could borrow his drill and he said that I lent him mine 7 years ago. Would I like it back?

I now have my drill press set up in the garage. I've used it on a few projects and it works great.

For just drilling hole, precision not the upmost requirement, i bought a Delta floor model drill press for a price i couldn't pass up! $50

For stuff that needs precision, or a side load of any kind, i use a Bridgeport mill.

Back